Hi Blog,
Today, I took leave to visit Lazarus Island. It seems I really love that place, don’t I? Yes, I have even thought about going to the island once a month, but I don’t want to get too accustomed to it and lose its magic.
 |
| Perfect weather for an island visit! |
Today's post is special because I want to share my visit to an island feature: Tiny Away, or Tiny House @ Lazarus, which will soon be closing down. I wanted to experience it before it disappears, so let me show you how I spent my time there. Any new reader should take note. My experience at Tiny Away Escape is only a small part of my entire post. It may not provide useful information for everyone. Here, I share my stay at Tiny Away Escape.
If you missed my previous trips to Lazarus Island, you can check them out here. Oh my, I am a Lazarus regular.
Lazarus Island and Kusu Island (2017) and again (2017), Solo trip (2017), Drone on the Island (2018), Disappointed Trip (2019), Chao Ta Day (2020), Me-Time (2020), Leading a Group (2020), Beach boy (2021), Visiting the island (2021), Explored the Unexplored (2021), Rainy Island (2021), Best Suntan (2022), Monday Orange (2022), Leading a Hike (2022), Sunny Island (2022), Mr Sun's Island (2023), Lesser Sun (2023), No Water (2023), Access while Low Tide (2023), New Tent (2024), Free Trip (2025), Quiet Battle Within (2025), A Day at Lazarus (2025), Weekend Suntan (2026), Eyesore Tanning (2026), Good Friday Lazarus (2026)
 |
| (credit ST) News about Tiny Away Escape vacation cottages on Lazarus Island closing in February 2027. |
 |
| Had a quick pack and was ready to go. |
 |
| I'm unsure why I feel underprepared, but I will do my best with the resources I have. |
 |
| As is often the case, taking leave during working days does not exempt me from my responsibilities; my regular tasks will continue as usual. |
 |
| I just don't worry about it. |
 |
| I was thinking about what to do on the island, as it is my first time staying overnight there. |
 |
| I received a free ticket for this trip due to my membership for taking more than six rides! |
 |
| Nice weather for today :) |
 |
| And it was packed with visitors, ready to be on board. |
 |
| Rd will be joining me on this experience. |
 |
| Initially, I planned to stay alone in this Tiny Away House. However, Rd requested to try it before his family, and since it is his birthday month, I agreed. Here it is. |
 |
| Ah, Disney cruise :) Still fresh in memory. If you missed my trip about it, you can check it out here. |
 |
It seemed like there was no passenger, but actually, I just enjoyed the moment of tranquillity.
|
 |
I discussed the rough itinerary for our ferry trip with Rd. Here’s what I had planned: 1. I will start with a morning suntan. (jump to part 1) 2. Next, we will check into the Tiny House. (jump to part 2) 3. After we settle in, we’ll visit St. John's Island. (jump to part 3) 4. Then, we’ll have dinner and explore the lesser-known areas of Lazarus Island. (jump to part 4) 5. The following day, I’ll try out my spidery suit during the sunrise. (jump to part 5) 6. After that, I'll go for a morning exploration during the lowest tide. (jump to part 6) 7. Finally, I’ll enjoy some sun time and Netflix before checking out. (jump to part 7) |
 |
| And shared my Disney cruise experience with Rd. |
 |
| Not long after, we had arrived near St John's Island. |
 |
It seemed like someone had arrived earlier than us.
|
 |
| Yippee! Finally, since 2023, I have been thinking of staying here for experience, and here I have it. However, we could not check in early because the official check-in is at 3pm. |
 |
| Two dogs were watching a weirdo (me) doesn't approach their owners. |
 |
| It seemed like the island visitors were first-timers on this island; they didn't rush to the beach. |
|
| Lazarus Beach - my favourite beach. |
|
| Have to appreciate the beach cleaners. |
 |
| It appeared to be low tide in the morning. |
|
| (credit Rd) We needed to secure the pavilion, as we always do. |
 |
| It seemed like there was no sign of beach visitors. Maybe they were heading somewhere else. |
|
| Our first item on the itinerary is to get a suntan! |
|
| It seems that Suntan isn't really Rd's thing. The gentle morning sun today was just perfect. |
|
| (credit Rd) It's not perfect to ask Rd to take pictures for this unattractive, untoned nerd. |
|
| Just look at how gentle the morning sun is. |
 |
| I truly enjoy this section of Lazarus Lagoon. |
|
| Hmm... The low tide was not an enjoyable time for soaking. |
 |
| Rd stepped out and offered to help me take photos. |
|
| (credit Rd) Alright, Rd. Thanks for helping me with the photography. |
|
| (credit Rd) If there is a DSLR, the photos might look better, but I might waste the photos by being in the pictures. |
|
| The morning sun was so gentle that I decided to suntan while Rd read his book. |
|
| (credit Rd) I applied the cream and continued to tan in the sun. |
|
| I was suntanning under the pavilion to avoid carrying sand to the Tiny Away Escape and trying to keep myself clean. |
 |
| Work work work... |
 |
| (credit Rd) Our pavilion had an unusual visitor. Normally, when I was at the pavilion, people avoided it because they didn't want to see an eyesore around. This time, a young Chinese tourist came by. He wanted to explore Lazarus Island and rest in the pavilion. While I was lying down and doing my own thing, he didn’t let my presence bother him and asked questions about the island. Rd and I helped him find some interesting places in Singapore. Our conversation turned into a get-to-know-you session. I thanked him for keeping us entertained. It was brave for him to travel alone. I hope he stays safe. I hope he stays safe. |
 |
| Just like this beautiful fly, it came and left. |
 |
| Time passes quickly, and it's time for Part 2 of our itinerary to check in! |
 |
| Welcome to Lazarus Island Tiny Away Escape Houses! |
 |
| Finally, my dream has been fulfilled! |
 |
| We chose one of five tiny houses, specifically 1960. Don’t ask me why we picked 1960; it was the only house available to book. Weekday rates are cheaper, and weekends are precious to me. |
 |
| They left the key outside the house. To obtain the door code, check your registered email, including your spam folder. |
 |
| Yippee! So exciting! |
|
| Ooooo! The interior design style of the 1960s features bold black and dark wood finishes. The design often includes minimal furniture, focusing on clean lines and simplicity. |
 |
| The vibe of the furniture is so classic. |
 |
| I'm not sure what this means, but I love how it can potentially be represented. |
 |
| I love the wood texture for the kitchen. |
 |
| A tiny house is the perfect escape for me from everything! |
|
| The best part of staying in this tiny house is the complimentary snacks and beverages, even though I can't consume the snacks. |
 |
| It seemed like a storm was approaching. |
 |
| It's advisable to keep your door closed at all times to prevent unwanted insects from entering. |
 |
| Once we settled our bags at a safe place, it was time to explore St John's Island freely. This is my first time exploring the island without needing to worry about my bags. |
 |
| Proceeding to part 3 of our itinerary – exploring St John's Island, and Rd agreed with it. |
|
| It seemed like the storm had started, and Rd brought along an umbrella. |
|
| I brought Rd to the Banyan tree's Mouse Deer worship area, and they needed a nerd as their offering. |
 |
| Strong wind, but it seemed like the storm hadn't hit the island yet. |
 |
| After a while, the storm stopped. |
 |
| So, I decided to bring Rd for a simple Urbex exploration—exploring the HQ. It seemed like the stairs were almost consumed by nature. |
 |
| Not sure how Rd will take this. I think if his first urbex is Haw Paw Brothers' villa in Coney Island, this one should not be an issue. |
 |
| But plants can really change how a place looks, so I try to appreciate whatever’s there. |
 |
| Oooo, hi there. Wow, this place has changed so much. (Practically, I can't see much.) |
 |
| I wonder what it would look like when it is functioning. |
|
| (Credit Rd) I believe it would be a nice and cosy building. |
|
| (Credit Rd) A good thing about this place is that nobody's messed it up with vandalism. |
 |
| Raw and beautiful |
 |
| Ooo, someone threw that power box... :( |
|
| Bats were flying around, and they were so interesting that they didn't crash into me. |
 |
| There were a lot here, but I couldn't capture them clearly as they were moving too fast, except for one bat. I should get a better phone. |
 |
| I was wondering if I should wear my Spidey costume here... I guess not. I might come back with another costume next time. |
 |
| Rd entered the thick foliage, back to civilisation. |
|
| A quiet beach is perfect so my eyesore bod doesn’t bother others too much. |
|
Thank goodness, the rains had stopped.
|
|
| (Credit Rd) After the storm, the water current moved forcefully. |
|
| (Credit Rd) Rd wasn’t swimming, just sitting and texting. I figured I wouldn’t hang around here for too long. |
|
| (Credit Rd) Rd suggested that I should take pictures here with Singapore behind me. Thanks for snapping them. |
 |
| Time to go back to Tiny House for dinner. |
 |
| I shall wash up a bit. |
 |
| (Credit Rd) I decided to walk back wet in my trunk since there was no one around. |
|
| (Credit Rd) St John's Island becomes Jeffrey Epstein's Island or Jeff's Esteem Island because... |
 |
| ...We walked back, and some workers were still around, preparing to leave. They saw me walking in my white trunk and just smiled at me. I guess if I have a godly body, they might give me a thumbs up. |
|
| (Credit Rd) I guess... I must acknowledge that I do not possess a godly body; a smile is better than disgust expression. |
 |
| Lazarus has many swallows around; these are the island's residents. |
|
| Back to the Banyan tree to be worshipped by mouse deer for a dopamine dose for myself. |
|
| After the last ferry from Lazarus left, the beach was peaceful again, except for some rich people who were still staying around the beach with their own boats. |
|
| (Credit Rd) I was wondering if I might have my own boat to visit private islands and beaches. |
|
| (Credit Rd) Yes! I will have one! In my dream, I will be taking that boat and exploring some unexplored islands. |
 |
| We went back and had our dinner. We didn't bring any food for the barbecue experience because that would have been a lot to carry. (You can pre-order the food from the tiny house, and they will put it in the fridge upon your check-in.) I doubt that either of our dietary restrictions will be an issue, so we settled for cup noodles. |
|
| (Credit Rd) Usually, I don't explore the other side of the Lazarus jetty because there isn't much to see, especially when the beach is my main focus. If you had checked my earlier posts about Lazarus, I had explored these areas, but they have changed so much that you probably won't remember, though I still do. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Let me drive you around. |
 |
| I think exploring this part of the island is best done during sunset. The unblocked horizon will be a perfect canvas for sunset photos. |
 |
| Too bad the sun was covered by thick clouds; otherwise, it might have been dramatic. |
 |
| Looking at the East, you can see Singapore's cityscape. Maybe the sunrise could be nice too if you can wake up early in the morning. |
|
| (Credit Rd) I wanted to have a nice sunset photo, but it is tricky to show the colours of the sunset and light up the subject's ugly face. Maybe I should not increase the brightness of the image. |
|
| Speaking of brightness, if I ever consider camping here, exploring at night is one of my objectives. |
 |
| Observe how light pollution from Singapore has illuminated the night sky. |
 |
| Observing the beach in areas untouched by light, I wanted to have a good walk along the beach. Unfortunately, I did not bring my laser to study the stars... |
 |
| Ah! The night sky was accompanied by Venus, the Moon... |
 |
| ...and me! Anyway, I felt so tired... I watched some Netflix and then went to sleep. |
 |
| Next day morning. Beautiful sunrise. |
|
| (Credit Rd) Haha, I wanted to dress up as Spidey in 2025, but I couldn't zip up the back, so I felt it was a waste. Now I have Rd to help me out, so maybe it will turn out better, especially since I’m a fat Spidey! |
 |
| (Credit Rd) Even superheroes like SpideyJ need to relax in Tiny Away Escape after a long day of saving the world. |
|
| (Credit Rd) This superhero, SpideyJ, wanted to go for a swim at the beach while no one was around. However, he thought there was no one on the island. To his surprise, he ran into the island caretaker on their buggy, and he simply waved at them. |
 |
| Ah! Mr Sun started to warm up the sky. |
 |
| Perfect for a suntan! |
|
| (Credit Rd) SpideyJ took this opportunity to strike some striking superhero poses. |
|
| (Credit Rd) The poses were random because SpideyJ has some vision issues. |
 |
| SpideyJ wanted to go to the pavilion for more poses, but he wanted to try removing his mask to see if he could put it back on. However, he soon realised he couldn't. Feeling embarrassed, he needed to undress the top part of his suit and walked back to the house. |
 |
| What a waste... I will continue to my next itinerary during the day's lowest tide. |
 |
| R.D. wanted to rest in the Tiny House, and I will go for my morning exploration by myself. :) |
 |
| I always want to explore that unusual place. |
 |
| Especially when there are fewer people and it was early... |
 |
| Especially when I carry nothing or lesser... |
 |
| Especially when it seems like a nice weather... |
 |
| Like this, so peaceful and calm. |
|
| Especially when it is low tide! |
 |
| Ooo, found a Sugarcane White Grub Beetle (Lepidiota stigma). So adorable. |
 |
| It was a perfect opportunity to explore the hidden part of this island. |
|
| The area is increasingly overgrown with vegetation each time I visit. There are some tombs nearby, but I avoid searching for them due to the dense foliage. |
 |
| Low tide really reveals a totally different landscape. |
 |
| Spotted a sea anemone! Looks like it knows it's in a safe spot and won't dry out anytime soon. |
 |
| A weirdo in white attire was spotted on this beach by a group of island researchers who were there measuring and recording the beach landscape. |
 |
| Just check out how calm the sea is; the same was true for the researchers when they saw me. |
 |
| I have never walked in this area at its lowest tide because usually, I walk closer to the foliage. |
|
| Ooo! My first time seeing a Red Feather Star (Himerometra robustipinna), and it is still alive. They are crinoids, an ancient marine invertebrates that are closely related to sea urchins rather than starfish. |
 |
| What do you see here? It's an octopus! I was trying to get a proper and clearer shot, but it 'inked' away! |
|
| Okay, time to stain this place with my ugly body. |
 |
| Just after I had undressed, the researchers returned and saw me in the trunk; they just maintained an awkward distance and looked away. |
 |
| Yup, I am no demigod. I am just an eyesore! Yippee! |
|
| I just want to own the beach, like it’s all mine. |
 |
| I wanted to explore this plain sandy side of the island, but the researchers were there, so I didn't pollute their eyes further. |
 |
| Continue my exploration |
 |
| Hmm... I wondered if I am in the right direction, because it has been a while since I visited. |
|
| There are many fallen trees here which shaped the landscape. |
|
| These trees' logs can last quite long and can become home for some marine animals and perfect for ugly nerd like me. |
 |
| Ah! This is the clue of where I can find the ruins. |
 |
| Let's go in and find the ruins together. I doubt the researchers will stop me, since they have distanced themselves from me. |
|
| What a mess. If it was my first time here, I might be worried. |
|
| After bashing through the woods, I managed to find the house. |
|
| Too bad, I couldn't get close to the house because of all the water around it. |
|
| Further down, there is a small storage hub. |
 |
| It started falling apart… I really should’ve used my selfie stick to take a pic from the top. |
 |
| I love these brick texture. |
 |
| I couldn't open the rusty metal door. |
 |
| Besides this, there is another bigger storage house. |
 |
| I need to get across this deep puddle dry, but it looks nearly impossible. |
|
| However, I still managed to cross over safely, but… |
 |
| The 'solid looking' ground is a trap! |
 |
| Long time, I had not visited this place. Here brought back many memories. |
 |
| Using my phone this time, I am able to capture a slightly brighter image of the interior. |
|
| As the vines grew rusty, they allowed me to unleash my wild imagination. |
|
| But I could not let my wild imagination run free and had to exit quickly as the mosquitoes got crazier and mad at having this ugly me in their territory. However, to be honest, the anti-mosquito repellent really worked effectively! |
 |
| Time to exit. I wanted to explore another storage room, but I don't want to. |
 |
| Hmm, let me think... I need a suntan moment before the visitors show up on the island. |
 |
| Better rush back. |
|
| The tide started to rise back. |
 |
| I shall continue to spend my remaining time before checking out. |
|
| The morning sun is perfect for sun tanning. |
 |
| Okay, I saw the ferry. Better return to the Tiny House before the crowds fill the beach, and worst of all, bump into me. |
|
| Honestly, I should think through how to properly spend my time. I don't know why I feel the need to rush... Maybe it's because I don't want to disappear for too long and leave my friend alone in the house, as if I weren't being inclusive. |
|
| Fortunately, there is a washing bay nearby to remove the sand. It is essential to ensure that the house remains sand-free before entering. |
 |
| The Tiny House door looks like a mirror in the daytime, but at night, if you don’t have curtains, people can see inside because of the lights. |
 |
| (Credit Rd) But whoever is inside can see who is outside during the daytime, so he must have seen me checking outside. |
 |
| For the remaining time, I prepared my preferred soft-boiled eggs for breakfast, and I appreciate Rd for leaving some unfinished bread. |
 |
| Thanks Rd for accompanying me. |
 |
| After I have washed up, I shall continue to watch the Netflix series - Love, Death and Robots. |
 |
| Time to check out! Goodbye Tiny House 1960! We had a great time here. Thanks for making memorable memories. |
 |
| I could have stayed longer for sun-tanning, but nah, I needed to rush back home to prepare for the next programme. |
 |
| Time for Tiny Away Escape review. |
Is Tiny Away Escape Worth It?
My Honest Staycation Experience
The first question many people will probably ask is: Is Tiny Away Escape worth staying at?
For the experience alone, my answer is yes.
Sadly, Tiny Away Escape's tiny house project will be coming to an end by the end of 2026, so I felt this was one of those experiences worth trying before it disappears.
As Singaporeans, most of us are used to living in HDB flats, condominiums, or staying in spacious hotel rooms whenever we go on a staycation. Tiny Away Escape offers something completely different. As the name suggests, it is truly a tiny escape—a chance to step away from our usual routine and experience what it feels like to live in a compact home with only the essentials.
Despite its size, the tiny house is surprisingly well-equipped. It has a comfortable bed, television, kitchenette, bathroom, dining area, and almost everything you need for a short stay. It made me appreciate how little space we actually need to live comfortably.
That said, the biggest hurdle is undoubtedly the price.
A night's stay isn't exactly cheap. In fact, the cost could easily pay for a return flight to a nearby Southeast Asian country, or even a stay at a luxurious five-star hotel in Singapore. Whether it's worth paying really depends on what you're looking for. If you're after a unique experience rather than luxury, then Tiny Away Escape offers something you won't normally find.
One thing I genuinely appreciated was the thoughtful hospitality. The tiny house comes with complimentary drinks, instant noodles, and snacks. Normally, I'm quite hesitant to touch anything placed inside hotel rooms because I'm never sure whether I'll be charged afterwards. It was nice knowing these were included.
Unfortunately, as a vegetarian, I couldn't enjoy most of the complimentary snacks and instant noodles. If you have specific dietary requirements, it's probably a good idea to bring along your own food and drinks.
There is a small convenience store located near the tiny houses, but from what I observed, it only operates during weekends. Since I didn't visit it myself, I'm unsure about the variety of items or the prices.
Many guests come here for the barbecue experience. Each tiny house provides a portable BBQ setup, which is perfect for families or groups of friends who enjoy cooking outdoors. Since I didn't have a barbecue during my stay, I can't comment much on that experience. Personally, I would describe Tiny Away Escape as somewhere between a resort and a chalet—a cosy retreat that's ideal for two or three people, with four being the maximum.
The little details also made the stay more enjoyable. Free Wi-Fi and Netflix are available for those who simply want to relax indoors. I also noticed a set of conversation cards designed to encourage meaningful conversations—something I thought was a lovely touch for couples, families, or close friends. Towels, umbrellas, and even a beach mat are thoughtfully provided, just in case guests need them.
Another fun feature is that each tiny house is themed around a different era: 1900, 1960, 1980, 2000, and 2017. Every house has its own personality, making each stay feel slightly different.
Of course, no place is perfect.
The biggest issue I encountered was the air-conditioning. During the daytime, the tiny house can become quite warm because the structure is built mainly from metal. The heat absorbed by the metal makes it difficult for the air-conditioner to cool the interior effectively. Thankfully, a fan is provided to improve the airflow. Once the sun goes down, however, the air-conditioning performs much better, and the room becomes comfortably cool.
Another thing to keep in mind is that this is located on Lazarus Island. If you forget to pack something important, returning to mainland Singapore means paying for another ferry ride. It's not a major problem, but it's certainly something worth planning for before your trip.
However, I think the biggest challenge isn't the location or even the weather.
It's whether you know how to enjoy doing... nothing.
Tiny Away Escape isn't a destination packed with attractions or endless entertainment. It's designed as a place to slow down, disconnect from everyday life, and simply be present. If you're someone who constantly needs activities to keep busy, you might find yourself getting bored after a while.
But if you're looking for a peaceful retreat—a place to read a book, watch Netflix, enjoy meaningful conversations, admire nature, or simply appreciate the quiet—then Tiny Away Escape offers exactly what its name promises: a tiny escape from the busyness of everyday life.
Would I return?
Probably not because of the price.
But am I glad I experienced it before it closes?
Absolutely.
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment
Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.
if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog