Hi Blog,
Happy Birthday to me! I came across one of my blog posts that I usually write during my birth month, reflecting on my own growth. If you missed those, here are a few:
46th Birthday Reflection (2025), A Reflection on Life, Love, and Self-Worth (2024), My 42nd Birthday (2021), My 41st Birthday (2020), Happy Birthday to me (2019), Happy Birthday 2018 (2018), Happy Birthday to Me (2017) and Jia You, Jeff (2017). This post is quite mundane; it serves as a personal reflection and is not intended for those who don't care to read. You may exit.
 |
| I create a self-portrait by starting with a point, then using one continuous line, and finishing with another point. This artwork symbolises the idea that a journey includes not just individual points or line segments, but the entire experience as a whole. I don't try to erase mistakes; instead, I've learned to accept that the line may wobble, overlap, and sometimes stray off course. Despite this, I continue moving forward until it ultimately represents me. |
There were many "points" in my drawing. The point where I struggled with my appearance, the point where I questioned my worthiness, the point where I felt judged, the point where I believed society only rewarded good-looking people, the point where I started cosplaying, and the point where I tried to stand up again. If someone looked at any one of those isolation points, they might misunderstand the whole story. But when connected, they form a line that tells the story of my journey toward seeing things differently. This line isn't straight; it curves, loops, and sometimes overlaps itself. At times, it seems uncertain. And that's exactly how growth feels. Years later, we look back and realise, "No... I was actually drawing the picture."
 |
| (Aug 2020 - Quarries Visit) Anyway, back to my birthday reflection. This year, I feel that it's not about celebrating another year of getting older; rather, it's about celebrating the person I didn’t become. |
|
| (Jan 2026 - Rainbow Tree Artwork) While most people's birthdays revolve around achievements, I ask myself a deeper question: "Who would I have become if I had never gone through those hardships and reflections?" |
|
| (Jan 2026 - Rainbow Tree Artwork) Looking at the road I had not taken is sometimes one of the clearest ways to recognise how much we've changed. A birthday marks the beginning of another year, but this year also signifies the end of an old chapter. It feels like I am saying goodbye to my younger self—not rejecting that part of me, but thanking myself for surviving until my wiser self could take over. |
Another Birthday, Another Mirror
 |
| (Jan 2026 - Dragon Teeth Structure) Birthdays used to be one of the days I secretly wished would pass as quickly as possible. Since I was young, I never really liked to celebrate my birthday. Perhaps it was because I seldom felt important enough for people to remember. As I grew older, that feeling quietly became a belief. I convinced myself that I was just an ordinary guy—someone who wasn't particularly handsome, wasn't wealthy, wasn't the kind of person girls would be interested in dating. |
|
| (Apr 2023 - Fort Siloso and Tanjong Rimau) Every birthday became another reminder that I wasn't someone worth celebrating. If no one organised anything, it confirmed my thoughts. If only a few people remembered, I would be upset with those who forgot. |
.jpeg) |
| (Jul 2022 - Batu Berlayar AMTB Battery) Looking back now, I realise my birthdays weren't hurting me because nobody cared. They hurt because my heart had already decided what birthdays meant. Sometimes, we don't run away because nobody cares. We run away because we are afraid of discovering whether anyone does... |
|
| (Apr 2025 - Abandoned Sport Complex) I can even imagine that if I had continued believing those thoughts, I would probably take leave every year, travel somewhere alone, avoid everyone, and convince myself that nobody remembered my birthday. Ironically, by hiding myself from others, I would only strengthen the belief that I was trying to escape. |
The Story I Used to Believe
|
| (Jan 2026 - Weekend Suntanning) The interesting thing about beliefs is that they don't just describe reality. They quietly shape the way we respond to it. I must say it has haunted me for years. When I expect rejection, I stop inviting people into my life. When I expect judgement, I tend to stop trying new things. The worst is when I believe nobody cares; I stop giving people the opportunity to show that they do. Without realising it, I become part of the very outcome I fear. |
|
| (Jul 2022 - Abandoned Tanglin Hill Brunei Hostel) I understand that I wished to become someone worthy, while also knowing that I would never be one. So, to numb such feelings, I started closing doors and formed what psychologists call a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sometimes, the prison isn't built by other people. It's built by ourselves, and we seal ourselves within the shadow of our own. |
The Man I Might Have Become
|
| (Feb 2026 - February Overview) Sometimes I wonder... What if I never questioned those beliefs? What kind of person would I be today? I don't think I would have dared to cosplay as Captain America. I would probably convince myself that people would only laugh at a short, ugly Asian man trying to cosplay a superhero. |
.jpg) |
| (Mar 2024 - Taiwan D6 - Taan & GaoMei Wetland) I might slowly distance myself from my religious activities because disappointment and being unable to find peace there would make me withdraw from people. I might avoid my married friends because every happy couple would become another painful reminder of what I didn't have. I might spend years chasing the perfect physique, believing that if I became muscular enough, lean enough, or attractive enough, I would finally become worthy of love. |
.jpeg) |
| (Jun 2022 - Forgotten Cinema) Yet deep inside, I know it would never be enough. Because when our worth depends on appearance, there is always another standard to chase. Perhaps the saddest possibility is this... I might slowly become a bitter person. |
|
| (Jul 2025 - 46th Birthday Reflection) Not because I was born that way. But because I allowed disappointment to become the lens through which I viewed life. I would become someone who believed that the world only rewarded good looks, wealth, popularity and success. One small decision at that time... I would slowly become someone I never wanted to be. |
This Year's Birthday
 |
| (Jul 2026 - July Overview) This year felt different. My mother and one of my friends secretly organised a surprise birthday celebration. A large group of friends came together. Some treated me to meals. Some prepared simple gifts. There were birthday cakes too. There were birthday wishes on social media |
 |
| (Nov 2021 - Fighting with Inner Demons) As always, I still noticed that some people didn't remember. The old part of me still noticed. But something else happened this time. Instead of focusing only on who forgot... I found myself appreciating those who remembered. For the first time, I realised something beautiful. Not everyone cares about me. But some people truly do. And perhaps... That is enough. |
What Has Actually Changed?
 |
| (Dec 2021 - Wild Nep Hunting) People sometimes think growth means becoming more successful. Or becoming richer. Or becoming more attractive. But I don't think that's what changed. The biggest change wasn't my circumstances. The biggest change was my lens. |
|
| (Nov 2024 - Island Club Road Path) The younger me believed: "If someone forgets me, it means I don't matter." Today I understand: People forget birthdays for various reasons, but relationships are built on countless ordinary days, not just one date on the calendar. |
|
| (OCt 2023 - Old Bird Bird Park) If someone chooses to forget me, I accept that and send my blessings to them. I may still feel sad, but I will no longer hold any resentment. The younger me believed: "People don't like me because I am not worthy." Today I believe: "I can continue improving myself while appreciating the people who already choose to walk with me." |
 |
| (May 2021 - Visit the Islands) The younger me measured life through comparison. Today, I am learning to measure life through gratitude. |
|
| (Nov 2023 - Old Bird Bird Park II) The younger me wanted to protect himself by withdrawing. Today, I am learning that although opening my heart carries the risk of disappointment, it also creates the possibility of genuine connection. |
A Letter to My Younger Self
Dear younger Jeff,
I know birthdays hurt. I know you will be reminded who remembered and who forgot. I know you wondered why others seemed so easy to love while you worked so hard just to be noticed.
You weren't foolish for feeling that way. You were simply trying to make sense of a lonely heart. But I wish I could tell you one thing. Don't leave too early. Don't push everyone away before they've had the chance to stay.
One day, you'll wear a Captain America costume even though you're still worried about how you look.
You'll continue to serve in your religious community, not because life has become perfect, but because you've discovered that kindness still matters, and you will step out of your shadow and walk toward the Light.
One day, your family and your friends will quietly plan a birthday surprise. No, not everyone will remember. No, not everyone will understand you. But enough people will remind you that your old story was never the whole truth.
Perhaps the greatest gift you receive won't be the cake, the presents, or the birthday wishes. It will be the quiet realisation that you didn't become the man bitterness wanted you to become. You became someone who still chooses hope.
As I celebrate another birthday, I realise that I may not have become the person I once wished I was. But I am deeply grateful that I didn't become the person my pain was trying to make me.
Happy Birthday, Jeff. Keep walking forward. |
The Opening Chapter of My Next Year
 |
| As I closed the letter to my younger self, I realised something. This isn't really the end of a birthday reflection. It is the beginning of another chapter. For many years, I measured birthdays by who remembered me, who forgot me, what I had not achieved, and what I wished I could become |
|
| (Nov 2023 - Went Nuts Challenge) This year, I have been reflecting on a different kind of measurement: my personal growth. While I am still the same Jeff, I continue to grapple with insecurities and occasionally compare myself to others. I still ponder how life might have been if I were taller, wealthier, more confident, or more attractive. Although those thoughts haven't entirely disappeared, they have a lesser impact on my life story now. I do. |
|
| (Feb 2024 - Embracing My Imperfections) Looking back, I realise the greatest blessing of this birthday wasn't the surprise party, the cake, the gifts, or the birthday wishes. It was discovering that I no longer see the world through the same lens. The younger me searched for proof that nobody cared. Today, I choose to notice those who quietly do. The younger me worried about becoming someone worthy of love. Today, I hope to become someone worthy of giving love. |
.jpg) |
| (Jul 2023 - Easter Dover Trees) Not becoming a different person. But becoming a truer version of yourself. As I step into another year of life, I don't know what joys or challenges lie ahead. I may still experience disappointments. I may still have moments of loneliness. Life will continue to be unfair in many ways. But I hope I never again allow bitterness to become the author of my story. Instead, I want gratitude to shape my perspective and hope to guide my steps. And kindness and the Light to remain my quiet strength. |
 |
| (Apr 2026 - Kranji Marshes Alone) This birthday wasn't simply a celebration of another year lived. It was a quiet reminder of the man I didn't become. And perhaps... that is the greatest birthday gift I could ever receive. |
Lastly
I made two movie posters of myself to remind myself what I am fighting for and going against. Thanks, ChatGPT, for creating this that helps to summarise everything above. Which one do you like?
 |
| Version 1 - THE MAN I DIDN'T BECOME: Before the light, there was a choice. |
 |
| Version 2 - THE MAN I DIDN'T BECOME: The greatest prison was believing there was no choice. |
These two posters tell the story of two possible versions of myself.
The poster version 2 represents the person I might have become if I had allowed fear, self-doubt, loneliness, and comparison to define my life. The chains and monsters are not merely fictional enemies—they symbolise the invisible beliefs that can quietly convince us to give up before we even begin.
The poster version 1 represents hope. It reminds me that transformation does not begin when the light appears; it begins the moment we choose not to let darkness have the final word. The monsters are still there, but they no longer define the story.
Looking back, I realise these are not two different people. They are two possible endings to the same journey. The difference was never the monsters I faced, but the small choices I made along the way. One point, one line, one decision at a time.
As I celebrate another birthday, I am grateful not only for the person I am becoming, but also for the man I didn't become.
 |
| (Jun 2026 - June Overview) Perhaps every one of us carries two posters within our hearts. One is shaped by fear. The other is shaped by hope. Every day, through our thoughts, choices, and actions, we quietly decide which story we are writing. |
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment
Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.
if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog