Sunday, October 4, 2026

Personal - Swimming Theme #27

Hi Blog,

Practical Muscle

I remember a friend once telling me, “Having muscle isn't necessarily a good thing. I don't really know anything practical like cycling, swimming, exploring, or anything else. Those muscles are mainly for looks, and I still have to maintain them. I would rather have just enough muscle to be healthy. I call that practical muscle.” At that time, I understood what he was trying to say. Perhaps he genuinely valued being healthy and functional more than simply looking muscular. Perhaps he was also being humble and did not want me to feel lousy about myself. But recently, I found myself thinking about his words again—and I realised my reaction was not really about muscles at all.

Maybe what bothered me wasn't the muscle. Maybe it was the advantage that I imagine comes with looking capable.
In the real world, appearance can sometimes influence our first impression of someone. A person with a well-sculpted body may walk into a new activity and already look like someone who knows what he is doing. Even if he is completely new and struggles badly, people might still think, “He's probably just learning.” They may be more patient, encouraging, or willing to give him another chance. Meanwhile, someone who looks completely ordinary like me might worry that the same mistake will be interpreted differently: “Maybe he just isn't good at it.” Of course, I cannot say this happens every time, and perhaps I am giving appearance too much power in my imagination. But I think this is where some of my insecurity comes from. I am not only comparing bodies; I am comparing how much forgiveness I imagine people receive while they are still learning.


Yet I need to remind myself of another side. Looking capable and actually being capable are two different things. A muscular body may create a favourable first impression, but it cannot automatically teach someone how to swim, cycle, hike, explore, draw, cook, communicate, or handle failure. Eventually, people see what we can actually do. And perhaps this is what my friend meant by “practical muscle.” It is not necessarily about having a certain physique. It is about having a body and a life that allow us to experience things. For me, perhaps practical strength also means being willing to enter something I am lousy at, look awkward for a while, learn slowly, and come back again. I may not receive the same first impression as someone with an impressive physique, but I can still build something through experience.


Maybe I have been too focused on the advantages other people seem to have before they even begin. I cannot control the first impression my body gives people, and I cannot guarantee that everyone will be patient with me. But I can control whether I continue trying. Perhaps I don't need to look like someone who is capable before I allow myself to participate. I can simply be the ordinary-looking guy who says, “I don't know how to do this yet. Let me try.” And maybe that is another kind of practical muscle—the strength built not from being impressive, but from repeatedly stepping into the real world, failing, learning, and continuing anyway.

Jeff
follow


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog