Sunday, August 11, 2024

Hiking - More Yishun Forest

Good Morning Blog,

The long weekend was rainy, so I couldn't go for a short hike. But today looks like a great opportunity! So where am I going then?

I had the pleasure of using my new camera and capturing some shots. I must say, it's a great investment! The colour and clarity are just perfect!
Today, I opted to revisit Yishun Forest, and I'm grateful that Elmo (who stays nearby) decided to join me on this little adventure.

In the meantime, I have to depend on timing to take photos. Fortunately, Insta360 has a gesture function to activate the timer. If the AI can recognise my ugly face... Occasionally, if the lighting is too dim, particularly on my face, the AI might not activate.
I need to activate right in front of the camera and then return to my pose.
So far, it's been manageable because there's sufficient time for me to get back into position after activating the gesture timer.
Imagine how hilarious it would be to see me doing that from someone else's point of view!
The weather is moody today, thankfully it won't rain.
But it didn't spoil my mood of exploration and my new upgrade!
Arrived to the forest and met Elmo there.
I wondered what had changed here since my last visit (2023)
It seemed the grass got longer this time.
The pathway appears more distinguished, suggesting it had frequent visitors.
The farm seems to have expanded and organised.
I attempted to take a photo of the fruits on this farm, but unfortunately, the Ace Pro couldn't focus anything in the foreground or up close.
(Credit Elmo) Perhaps I can get Elmo to help me.
Looking back, this area is better utilized for something rather than letting it grow wildly.
Let's explore deeply
(Credit Elmo) When I tried to remember, I noticed that this part of the area had become more overgrown. I wondered what had happened to this place since my last visit.
Oh, dear. Now this door has become a tawhich overed in trash. What a waste.
(Credit Elmo) There is a lot of green here, which is good.
and trash...
Lets go up here
Ooooo! The makeshift tent was no longer there. During my last visit, there was one large makeshift tent.
The Nature had taken over the place.
(credit Elmo) During my last visit, I didn't get a chance to check out this makeshift tent. So this time, I decided to step inside and take a photo with it.
Next stop - another hidden farm.
I noticed a couple working hard to tidy up the plot. It's wonderful to see them making good use of their time.
Let me show you around
Blurry shot of the fruits and vegetables
and the unblurry papaya
We continued deep into the forest upslope.
OOOO! A durian husk has been discovered; given that it's opened and there are no monkeys in sight, it suggests that a human has been at work, which also indicates the presence of a durian tree nearby.
Oooo! A new makeshift tent was found here.
And a toilet was built nearby too.
This structure stood out as a makeshift, distinct from its surroundings.
Hmm... weird, how did this attach to me?
(Credit Elmo) Found the MTB downhill pump track!
However, with people enjoying themselves at the track, I shifted my attention to the Yishun Banyan Tree.
(Credit Elmo) Beautiful Yishun Banyan Tree.
(Credit Elmo) Gazing upward, I admired the beauty.
(Credit Elmo) Do you see what I see?
(Credit Elmo) let me show you another brighter side of the banyan tree.
The roots of the banyan tree resemble a cage or prison, now only needing to be bound to them for reenactment.
Hmm... It seems there is a distinct path ahead... perhaps a new place to explore?
Indeed, I was correct. There was an additional, newly undiscovered path here.
We heard some people chatting in the distance.
A couple of hikers were happily discussing their discovery of ripe durians. I wondered will we have our share?
Take a look at the mountain of durian husks. Oddly enough, I can hardly detect the strong smell of durian here...
Interesting, more to explore.
Oooo! Nanyang brick found.
It appears that there used to be a building in this place, possibly someone's home in the past.
Oooo! We found two water tanks/wells! The presence of an old foundation made of Nanyang brick, along with another sizable one near the Banyan tree, situated near a reservoir, confirms the existence of a settlement here in the past.
The structure in Thomson Nature Park (previously called Hainanese Village) has a similar design to this one.
I am curious about how this functioned in the past. I don't see any obvious access point for water. Could it be something other than a water tank or well? It's got me thinking!
(credit Elmo) what a peaceful spot for exploration. Loving the tranquillity! 🌿🌟
Hmmm... There are two paths. Which way should we take? If we take the left, we will exit the forest, so let's take the right.
oooooooo! Another makeshift tent! Wow! The space taken was big.
(Credit Elmo) You can unwind with a refreshing and simple cup of tea here.
(Credit Elmo) I can prepare food here like a chef.
(Credit Elmo) Impressive! They combined two tables that can accommodate a larger group or even serve as a bed. I wanted to lie down, but it was a bit dusty.
Alright, let's return to the fork in the road and proceed down the left path. Elmo appeared to handle the hike and exploration well; typically, most individuals would have become quite frustrated with such an arrangement.
Wow, there's another new MTB downhill track! It's awesome to have this playground for mountain biking.
There appear to be numerous exploration opportunities here that I would like to return again.
It seemed like Mr Sun agreed with me.
We successfully exited the forest. Elmo felt a bit of scared as he stepped into uncharted territory, wary of encountering snakes and unfamiliar faces. Nevertheless, he appreciated the chance to witness the hidden farm.
The Yishun forest is an exciting location to refresh my hiking journey, and it appears there are even more uncharted areas waiting to be explored. I'll definitely be back for more!

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog