Friday, August 21, 2026

Hiking - Gillman Barracks Forest

Hi Blog,

(Drafting) This month, I've been hurriedly working to document some forests that are at risk of being lost forever. Last week, I visited Maju Forest (you can check out my post about it), and next on my list is Gillman Barracks Forest. You can also read more about the news regarding these forests here.

2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
I took a half-day leave to visit the nearby forest, and the weather today is looking great.
Why can't I go on the weekend? Why do I have to take a half-day leave? The forest has gained a lot of attention, and I’d like to visit in peace. Additionally, I am trying to clear my leave. Dongsaeng K also wants to explore the forest, so I will go with him.


2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
I'm feeling great leaving work on a hot afternoon. I wanted to go for a swim, but I didn't bring my swimming trunks. I should have brought them!
(Credit sgforest) There have been many news stories about it. When I saw this, I thought deforestation had begun!
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Phew... It seemed like that image is just an illustration, not actual deforestation (only for this date, as I won't know what will happen in the next few months).
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Time to dress up 
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Today's weather was so bright, it would help to light up the forest later.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Honestly, I didn't know we had such a place with art galleries and cafes around; I wonder what the nightlife vibe is like here. And I highly doubt I will have any good reason to come here other than the forest.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Let's go!
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
There are cafes and vintage cars here—no wonder I don’t know this place. Not for a poor fly like me.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
A bit of history here: the red-roofed buildings are the Gillman Barracks, built in 1936 as a British military camp. They served as a WWII battle site and later as a post-war British army base. The site was handed over to the Singapore government in 1971 to train national servicemen. It has now been converted into a suburban lifestyle cluster with restaurants, bars, and retail. Due to the expiring leases in 2030, it will be turned into a residential housing area.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Okay, history lesson ended, let's get back to the exploration.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Ooo, there are bricks stacked up here. Upon closer inspection, I expected to find some company logo on them, but there is nothing. Personally, it gives me a lot of ideas to turn them into a garden stand for my pots.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
(Credit Dk) Our first exploration will start from these stairs. Fortunately, I was able to obtain a map from a group of hikers, which will provide a general idea of the areas they have already covered.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
I believe, in the past, this platform was a field or training ground before the foliage took over.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Looks like a lot of visitors helped clear the way for us.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Hmm, I wondered why there is a need to build a mini wall on the stairs.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
It seemed like an easy route, because the path was distinct.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Like this.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
With the help of the markers, I have no fear of getting lost.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
(Credit DK) I was trying to re-create the scene I had in the Rock Garden, but I was unable to. (Finding Rock Garden post
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
(Credit DK) I guess good things just happen at the right time, and this one’s got its own story for now.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
I started to obsess over the beauty of ferns, and this one is a Fan Palm Tree Leaf. Isn't this beautiful?
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Yippee! Found the wall!
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
This is one of the obstacle courses at Gillman Barracks, and it was still there in a forested area before it disappeared.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Give a few more years, this wall will be covered by foliage, but I doubt that day will come.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
I see many visitors tend to climb up this wall.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
xxx
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
Ah! I found the forgotten military insignia plaques of Gillman Barracks! You can read more detailed historical information from this wonderful site, remembersingapore, about this plaque here.
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
xxx
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
More
(Credit the one who snapped this photo on fb) Did you see how the hill looked and how intact the plague was at that time?
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
caption
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone
conclusion section

Jeff
2026 08 21 exploring gillman forest before it was gone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog