Saturday, August 29, 2026

Hiking - Labrador and Gillman Visit

Hi Blog,

Saturday again. I was supposed to attend a class, but I wanted some me-time. After what happened yesterday, I had a stronger urge to just lie down and doom-scroll; however, I gave myself a little push to go for a hike.

2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
So where should I go today? In my mind, Labrador Nature Reserve stood out, so let's go there and also visit Gillman Forest again to find the spot I missed before. If you missed visiting Gillman Barracks Forest, you can check here. I would rather explore that forest sooner rather than later because it will be deforested for a future project.
Speaking of Labrador Nature Reserve, it is one of my favourite places for exploration. I've been feeling a strong urge to go there lately, so let's go together and see why. If you missed my previous post about Labrador Nature Reserve, you can check it out: Exploring Labrador Nature Park (2017), Night Exploration at Labrador Park (2019), Half Day Hike (2019), With my Childhood Friends (2020), Batu Berlayar AMTB Battery (2022) and again (2022), Finding Old Hideout Shelter (2023), and Revisiting Labrador Nature Park (2024)


2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I got stuck on my bed for a while and had to drag myself up. The need for motivation is real.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I wanted to sleep... My emotions just felt so heavy.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Took a deep breath and left this place.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I went hiking at noon. With the sun directly overhead, I could distinctly feel the intensity of the heat.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oh well, once I stepped out, my thoughts would be more focused, which is what I need.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
These days were the dry season and really hot days.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Okay, Labrador Nature Reserve, so what do you want to summon me for?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
What a peaceful afternoon.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The sun was intense as there were no clouds at that time. Time for me to move under the trees for shade.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Today, Labrador House seemed quiet, unlike my previous visits. It looks like it was closed.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The classic green door
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I don't get to see this door anywhere else besides at some Nyonya heritage centre. However, I think something is too quiet here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Hmm, there is no car in the car park. Something is wrong... Anyway, I will explore first, then conclude later.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Whenever I visited Labrador Nature Reserve, I paid this water tank a visit.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I doubt I can find this water tank anywhere else in Singapore.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I don't know what this is for: water collection or a toilet bowl.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Rusty water valve which I won't touch.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I wonder if this water tank is meant to serve the Labrador House.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Further down, we would find the old rusty gate.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Really old rusty gate.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Frankly, this path is not very effective for navigating the woods; one must rely primarily on general direction and intuition.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Iconical hidden spot
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
We can see Pasir Panjang Power Station from an uphill slope. Ooo... It's quite dangerous here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
It looks abandoned somehow, but based on how clean the road is, it is not yet abandoned.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Hopefully, I can go in and visit before it goes.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
And this spot is quite dangerous and beautiful; however, I won't stay long, as there are some more to explore.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
It had been a while since I last saw this.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I love the Banyan tree taking over and becoming part of it.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The vines on the Banyan tree are a natural decoration, while large trees will have ferns and other plants.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I wanted to cross beneath this to the next ruin; however, the structure is supporting the entire weight of the tree, and its walls are cracked on the sides. It's very risky to cross.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I went to the top of the ruin to check the tree. Oh well, I'd better try not to risk myself and proceed to the next ruin.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The next ruin is quite near but...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
...the vines are everywhere and leave no space for photos or anything, so I won't get near them.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Something about this Labrador House... After researching, I found that it had closed down at the end of 2025. It used to be a high-class restaurant; in my opinion, the location, cost, rent, popularity, and target audience definitely made it extremely difficult to maintain.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I guess it is goodbye for it...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Time to explore the park side of Labrador; I wanted to know which summoned me.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I wanted to enter here to find the hidden ruin; however, the vibe wasn't right.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
One of the beautiful sides of Labrador Reserve.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
If they can do some clean-up, it will be an iconic spot.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Was it the history of the Labrador Battery that summoned me?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Hiking in the afternoon is really peaceful.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I can really take my own sweet time and enjoy a peaceful moment to explore.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
But it can also be boring for some people.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
1892 store room - how I wished I could enter this to have a good look.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
It seemed like it was not the Labrador Nature Reserve that summoned me... It might be another area of the Labrador Nature Reserve.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Under the hot sun again.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The other area is where the ruin battery is located.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Can anyone open the door for me so I can enter and explore? Anyway, I was approached by Batu Berlayar AMTB Battery.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oooo! OOO! Are they trying to build something to fence off others from accessing here?! It seemed like it!
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Was this the reason why I felt the need to come?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
If they are fencing it off, then it means it is no longer accessible...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Honestly... I started to miss this place already...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Looking down at the area where they are going to fence it off, it seemed like something had happened earlier or some complaints had been made, hence the authority decided to do so.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I seem to have forgotten whether the hole was already there or if it is something new that I overlooked.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Batu Berlayar AMTB Battery - hello!
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I had so many memories here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I only went up there once. Today, I would like to go up there.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I felt thankful that I was able to make it in time before it was too late.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Luckily, there isn't any crack around here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
However, I cannot climb up the tower anymore. The stairs are gone; they must have been used by many people and eventually...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oh man... I really wanted to go up...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Looking at the wall... I think enclosing this place might be the only way to stop some irresponsible people...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
And this is also the reason why they have to enclose this whole place. Did you see that each pillar is supported by metal bars?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Because the main pillar started to rust and is breaking down, which is risky as it is a time bomb.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I would like to imagine the scene in the past here. Must be very busy here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oh... No matter how busy it was, eventually, it would stop and return to nature.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
This place will be part of my memories. Argh, I forgot to take a picture of myself walking through it...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
This location is intriguing as well. I initially assumed it was intended for their cannon, but there is no cannon track present.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
So I don't know anything about this place.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
But what I do know is... I hope this chaos wasn't caused by mischievous hikers. If it was done by them, what else can I say?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
You may observe the area on the left side of the room; everything remains unchanged - won't that be nice?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Now like this? Sigh... I want to help, but... I'm not a superhero with super strength, so I can't achieve anything alone, like putting things in place.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
If you read my post in 2022, you will see how it was when I first arrived here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Even in this room, any spirit that remains here would be disappointed... When will humans be better?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I believe I understand the rationale behind the use of metal stairs: in the event of an enemy approach, the stairs could be removed from the ground, similar to the missing tower stairs.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2nd floor - But they couldn't stop the graffiti-wannabe from leaving their marks around.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
3rd floor - A lot of private parts graffiti...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
4th floor - Why can't they be more creative?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I am okay with the line figure, but why is there a need for extra features?
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
The steps on the metal stairs have started to wear down, indicating potential risks.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
5th floor - I cannot proceed to the last floor because the last few stairs are heavily damaged; I doubt they can withstand my weight.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I walked around to observe the tower, appreciating it for the wonderful memories it has provided me.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I sincerely hope it remains secure and intact.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I guess next time, we will view this battery only from this perspective.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Perhaps my next exploration will be Sentosa.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Before I ended today's hike, and since I was nearby, I decided to visit somewhere...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Gillman Barracks Forest is near here, and I shall go there to find some special features which I missed out previously. You can check this post about Gillman Barracks Forest here.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Ooo! Something caught my attention!
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
This one is a Paradise tree snake (Chrysopelea paradisi). It can actually glide from tree to tree. It is somehow venomous, but it hunts for small prey like lizards and is extremely shy of humans.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I decided to enter the forest in the reverse direction from my previous visit.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Hmm, it should be here where DK and I exited.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oh no! Oh no! Something bad happened! As I entered the forest, I needed to cross over a large log, which I don't remember there being. As I put my left leg over the log, I suddenly felt sharp burning pain in my arms and thighs! I couldn't see anything besides seeing black insects on my body as I quickly brushed the insects away from my arms, thighs, front, and back (I might have killed or injured them as I did that). I didn't have time to think; my only thought was Run! Did you notice the red mark on my hand? It appears to be a bite. Initially, I thought it was from ants, but the insects were flying like bees. I may have accidentally stepped on their nest.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
After running away from the scene to make sure the 'bees' didn't chase me, I stopped and inspected myself. I had a deep abrasion from the initial struggle to get away. Painful...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I checked my thigh area and found it swollen and painful. I suspect that paper wasps are responsible for this, rather than bees. If it were bees, I could be in bigger trouble since there are many of them.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Found that viney network, messy, and massive, like a disorganised LAN room.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I guess... I wasn't in the mood to imagine and quickly exited this place because of the insect bites... I was worried my body might have an allergic reaction and I might faint.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Returned to the plague to re-shoot, and now it is not in zoom mode, which I won't know until I check the setting on my phone.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I recalled some hikers actually took this path.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
After a while, I didn't feel the insect bites, which means I will be fine. I shall proceed with exploring.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Hmm, it seemed like someone came here before.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
It looks like there is a path here going uphill.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Maybe there is something inside.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Exploring and wandering around... It seemed like I was lost... I don't know what to expect ahead. In my mind, I can trust the exploration process because it is just a small forest; if it were a large forest overseas, I wouldn't dare to go and would constantly make markers.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
As I was exploring and trying to find 'something', I noticed a few large wooden bracket fungi.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
It shows how stable and mature this forest has aged...
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Just look at the size of it!
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Not long, I found what I was looking for!
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
A low obstacle wall, and yup! That's it! Mission accomplished.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
I was just trying to get some memory shards since they will be gone soon.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Lastly, I tried to find the iconic fallen obstacle wall in Gillman Barracks Forest from the low wall and really lost my way, which made me worry.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
However, I managed to find it. What a sense of achievement.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Oh man... I really need some rest. Insect bites, getting lost in the woods, injuries, and a low camera battery... It's time to say goodbye to Gillman Barracks Forest, as I doubt I will return here again. Thank you for leaving a deep impression and creating memories together.
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest
Yippee! Two places covered! So happy today!
The purpose of visiting those places was that I wanted an outlet for my emotions and to alleviate the feeling of being summoned. I guess I am beginning to understand why. Firstly, the Labrador House was closed, and that small part of the forest might be restricted. Secondly, the battery will be enclosed soon. Thirdly, I was stung by wasps to remind myself to be humble and thankful for the blessings during the many hikes I have taken.

Jeff
2026 08 29 visiting labrador park then continue with gillman forest


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog