Saturday, August 15, 2026

Hiking - Maju Forest Exploration

Hi Blog,

On my previous hike, I didn't realise I had gone to the wrong forest until I finished and compared photos with others online, discovering I had gone to Dover Forest instead of Maju Forest (last week's hike post).

2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It looked like today was a cloudy one.
The reason for visiting Maju Forest today is that the government plans to develop the forest for housing, which has concerned many Singaporeans. (news from CNA) Many of them will rally about it, and it will definitely expose the forest to many visitors before it disappears. I, for one, have visited it before (if you missed my first exploration, you may check here: 2021 - Maju Forest & The Jurong Railway Hike) and now it's better to visit today.


2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I remembered my first hike in Maju Forest. It was quite muddy and challenging, not an easy trek for a beginner.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I need to prepare for the worst, like muddy ground; however, I chose this month because it is drier.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
What I need to focus on the most is the crowd at Maju Forest due to the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Oops! It started to rain, but I believe it's just a passing shower. 
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Interesting that my Liverpool jersey matches the colour of my trisuit. It might become my typical hiking attire in the future.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Layered clouds appeared in the sky, which could be interpreted as an auspicious sign.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Time to apply my trusty cream, before I get near that forest. No sponsor.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Oh yeah, I heard some of you asked how I would get to Maju Forest. I alighted at Clementi by train and walked north to the location (map).
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It may not be the actual location of Maju Forest...
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
But to walk in Maju Forest, it all started with the Old Jurong Railway Track.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
This railway track cuts through Maju Forest, and to navigate through it, we will walk along the railway track.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Hmm, where is the morning sun?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
You don't have access to this railway track due to safety concerns and the effort to preserve this structure at minimal cost. Even though I know how to get up there, the red ants are a bit aggressive, as standing near them can cause them to crawl onto your body.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I shall start from this track for my journey today.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Maju Forest is quite large, but I am not brave enough to explore other untouched areas, as I don't know what to expect there... So I will stick to the railway track for today.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Let's have a few shots by the track, and then get ready to go.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
However, this railway track is blocked.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
So how to get to Maju Forest?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
There are rusty tracks and overgrown foliage here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It is not safe to just cross over, and we also have to preserve this historical structure.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
No problem at all; you can still get in from another side, since many hikers were coming in and out through here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It had been almost five years since I last visited. The reason was that the environment felt somewhat overwhelming and muddy for me.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I greatly appreciate the natural state of this forest, which also serves as a habitat for numerous animal species.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
There are many fallen trees around here, but most of them have somehow been removed.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Just check out how wild the foliage is on the railway track.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
For the beginning part of the hike, I will hike along the railway track. I noticed that there were many hikers walking along or towards me, which helped me stay on course.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
This hike is so peaceful. It's the perfect way to take a break from the urban environment for a while.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
There is another path to explore, and I shall give it a try.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Fortunately, the path is distinctly clear here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
This is especially true when this 'red warning sign' was obvious in the forest; every hiker just stayed away from me.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I guess I should not stray too far from the railway track and should return closer to the main path.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Are you able to spot the railway track in this image? It is there, and there were many hikers trying to walk on the railway track, exploring Maju Forest.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I got down and walked along the track; however, many fallen trees are covering the tracks.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Not just fallen trees; plants are growing on the tracks. I wonder, in countries that still have railway tracks, how they keep the tracks clear of plants? I think they just make sure the track is still functioning and let the train act like a bulldozer.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
If they don't have a plan for Maju Forest, what will happen here?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
These plants tend to spread, so... it might get worse as time goes on.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Looking up the valley, I feel there might be something going up the hill. You see, this railway track is somehow built between a valley and Maju Forest, which is a large forested area, and the railway track is the most commonly explored route to navigate through. And I can't be certain, so I will leave it.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Two large fallen trees formed a natural railway track for hikers-train.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Check out the large trees that grow here. Since the old Jurong Railway Line ceased operations in 1992 and was fully closed in the mid-1990s, it can take years for the plants to grow so large.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Do you see something in front?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Can you see it now?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Yes! The iconic tunnel in Maju Forest.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It started to get muddy, but today's condition seems alright; if not, it could get worse.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I wanted to take my time to snap photos here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
However, you may not have noticed that behind my camera, hikers were waiting for me to vacate the area, as they also wanted to take some photos here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
One amazing thing here is that some small fish are living in this pool of water. I wonder where they come from?
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I can't tell whether it is a mosquitofish or a puggy.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Middle section of my hike in Maju Forest.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Iconic tunnel; I believe they will preserve this for sure.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
At the end of the tunnel, I could end my hike here, but I will continue.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
This is the route I worry about the most.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Why so? Because it is well known for being muddy.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Ooo, a short fig tree growing on the track here; it might grow larger and cause problems.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
The second part of the Maju hike, walking along the hilly side of the railway track, is the main way to avoid mud.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I'm choosing these drier days to explore because even on the hilly side, the ground can get muddy. So when it's drier, it will be safer to walk.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Just check out the condition of the railway track - a dense foliage and a mud pool.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
And it was toppled by fallen trees too...
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I witnessed many hikers walking in the opposite direction, who tended to walk on the railway track. However, I saw that they were having fun carefully navigating it.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
It really depends on the individual to decide which path they want to experience.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I saw a pair of soles on display at Maju Forest ground, looking like some kind of trophy.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Ah, yes, this is the muddiest spot. When you are here, you can't reach the safe side of the valley because it is too high for anyone to climb.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Just look at how hungry the mud is here - there are some soles stuck in the mud.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
As you enter deeper, there is pooling.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
DEEP POOLING!
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I will clearly choose the path alongside the flooded railway track.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
In the end, you can't completely avoid a bit of mud, but I managed to get through this without any issues.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
My experience here was pleasant and not as challenging as I imagined, unlike my previous hike.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Ultimately, the path became smooth again, just like it was at the beginning.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
The condition of the railway track at the end of my hike seemed peaceful.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I understand why many people starting from the Rail Corridor choose the railway track path, often without knowing the safest route. If you're beginning your walk from the Rail Corridor to Maju Forest, it's best to stick to the side of the tracks.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Ended my Maju Forest exploration.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
Many people love the Maju Forest, especially this particular area of the forest.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
There are many ways to explore Maju Forest, and I hope someone can show me more of it.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
The new development has begun, but I'm not sure what they are building.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I hope to always remember the trees here.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
They resemble Bukit Brown, but these are larger and closer in proximity.
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
"This tree is definitely iconic for Maju Forest."
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I love this tree, and I encourage you to come and see it for yourself!
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit
I have to say, my shoes are still clean and free of mud! What an achievement!
I’m glad that I can still visit Maju Forest before it is gone after my last visit in 2021. I would like to explore other paths here again. It's time to go home and rest.

Jeff
2026 08 15 Maju forest visit in red trisuit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog