Sunday, April 14, 2019

Hiking - UV Torchlight Test

Hi Blog,

Recently, I have been hunting for Infinity Stones (fluorescent minerals) online (and you can read more here) and as I recall I have an LED UV Torchlight which can light up the fluorescent property in the minerals. (click here to read more) But because my LED UV torch is too strong in a purple hue and I don't know its wavelength; based online, they claimed mine is a Long Wavelength UV torch.

But a Short Wavelength UV will be best for fluorescent minerals but it costs a bomb...

I got this from Shopee for $4. USB UV light torch. Sounds like a good deal.
But...

It looks rather weak...

Left is the USB UV torch and right is my LED UV torch. Just look how much difference these two compared.
My messy room comparison. Hmmm... kind of disappointed though.
I also bought Yellow Safety Glasses as I felt rather drained especially my eyes whenever I used the UV light.
Yooperlite Comparison with USB UV (Left), LED UV (Center) and covered with Safety Glasses (Right). Interesting!
Wernerlite Comparison with USB UV (Left), LED UV (Center) and Safety Glasses (Right). Wernerlite itself has a reactive fluorescent property so it can fluoresce strongly under any wavelength.
Due to its yellow tinted glasses, it also affects the colour like this Gypsum which I see as blue, but after wearing the safety glasses, it got this light yellow tint.
I asked ZN to go for a night hike with me to test the UV torch and see whether I discovered any fluorescent rock in MacRitchie, who knows.
(Credit ZN) Ready for the night hike?
(Credit ZN left) Right after we step into the wood, I find one scorpion immediately and it is quite big! Here we can compare the quality of our phone - Huawei Pro 20 (Left) and Blackview 9500 (right)
After 10 secs, we find another one!
UV torch comparison - USB UV (Left) and LED (Right) even though, the USB UV torch seems to look great under the image it is rather weak... Unlike the LED, it is so strong, that I can spot scorpions easily in the dark.
(Credit ZN) Huawei Pro 20 is great here
Comparison again - USB UV (Left) and LED (Right), it seemed like LED wins for this situation.
That can't stop ZN to use his Huawei Pro 20 to capture the night sky.
At least it is a good chance for me to have a pic for a night shot.
Night hiking is an exciting one :D I hope to do it again. Who dares to try? Remember this, night hiking in the woods is not encouraged, experienced hiker might help the situation but enter at their own risk.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog