Sunday, April 21, 2019

Trip - Kranji Countryside

Good Morning Blog,

Yawning... ZN and I had discussed this for a long time since I mentioned that I want to get some mushroom kit at Kranji Farm which I don't know its actual location.

So we leave house like 7am and travel all the way to Kranji MRT station to get the first express bus.
You can read up more in KranjiCountryside.com. So let me show you around in Kranji.

You will find a nice countryside poster on the pillar and got blocked by other messages...
You can cover these places within a bus trip and you can QR scan for their bus schedule.
Oops... It seems like we miss the first bus and another one will be another hour later...
Time to fill up my stomach for the second time.
In case, you aren't sure about which express bus to hop in, because there are many pickup bus services (beside public buses) shared the same bus stop. So do look out a white mini bus with Kranji Countryside Association logo.
In case, we aren't aware of the timing, you still can find it on the bus but pdf version will be clearer (link)
Pay $3 for ticket which covers the whole tour within Kranji Farms by showing the driver the tickets.
Let's GO!
Our first stop, we decide to stop at Hay Dairies Goat Farm (link) because we can watch how they milk the goats around 10-11am, whereas other timing won't have milking session and we can walk to the next farm at our own timing.

Hay Dairies Goat Farm


Weekend morning is already filled with families especially milking goat but still manageable.
Some information about Kranji Countryside which is cool, whereas they are trying to raise awareness to the public.
Here is a map of the available farm up to dated. If you have a vehicle will be easier.
$5 per packet... Hmm... seems rather costly.
Learning corner about Goat and you can poke your finger to feel the wool.
Milking Goat session starts! The speaker shares some interesting facts about Goat Milk but I can only remember one thing - Goat Milk is alkaline (Raw goat milk is alkaline-forming in the body.) and Cow Milk is acidic (contains lactic acid and due to the presence of colostrum or bacterial deterioration.) so it is not advisable to drink both at the same time. And drink goat milk has many benefits than cow milk. (You can read up more here)
After they have done milking the goats, they are sent to another block.
What is there?
In this block, you can feed and interact with the goats
Cute kids! It even knees down to feed.
ZN tries to pet the kid.
Looks like innocent toddler
(Credit ZN) Glad they don't bite my fingers.
As we walk in further, the kids got larger.
So if Kid is a name for young goat, then what about this? Teen?
This 'teen' got goatee like Tony Shark.
(Credit ZN) We notice that the goats will crew on anything - even the metal piece has become their crewing (metal gum)
(Credit ZN) ZN decides to buy one goat milk to try and it tastes so... raw. Hahahah but we like it.
My zodiac is Goat -  a fat goat unlike them, they are slim and lean.
Since our next destination is near Goat Farm, we decide to walk there.
But end up, I pick the wrong junction...
Jurong Frog Farm

Okay... We still reach Jurong Frog Farm safely.
You can do these activities at Jurong Frog Farm (need to pay)
From this angle, it doesn't look we are at Singapore. It is nice to stay away from Urban area.
At Frog Farm, they have some cute wall mural paintworks.
To contrast the dull wall
with funny ideas. I am here to look for my Miss Frog Princess.
But I still like this wall because of the beautifully painted blue, contrast the yellow texting.
oooo Here, you can catch some frog but be gentle. The kids are brave to touch the frogs.
This is America Bullfrog. They are quite big and they aren't native in Singapore. So it is best to contain it.
Here is their tadpoles zone
Pools and pools for babies to swim in
If you have seen tadpoles before, you can't believe the size of America Bullfrog Tadpoles!
It is a size of your thumb! No wonder... most western always look bigger in size... Envy their genes pool.
Oh a stamp to complete some learning experience.
Then I stamp it on my shirt.
Opposite side from the tadpoles pool is the adult pool where breeding is happening - their love pool
There are so many of them... but to think again... This frog farm isn't breed them for learning experience or release to wild (which they aren't native here)... They are breed for their meat... Generally... Behind all those colourful wall mural and fun for kids, the truth is hidden...  whatever we are looking at, are prisons - those frogs are prisoners for consumption.
This place... they sell fried frog meat to visitors. The kids will not know those are frog meat. Sigh... human beings... can they 'SEE' beyond the surface and the taste-bud.
Cute tadpoles but trapped since born... Frog in the well? Sometimes, it is better than Frog in the prison.
Learning experience about the frog with badges and leaflets.
After I leave this place, lets have a picture here.
Welcome to Jurong Frog Prison.

Thong Hup Gardens PTE LTD
Next stop is Thong Hup Gardens PTE LTD (FB link) It is one of the nurseries which opens for visitors.

Typical exterior of most farms in Kranji
It looks like I am at different country already.
No many visitors and their staff just sit back and chill.
Neat and organised display of pots
It is like visiting someone's garden and admire his plants collection
Hmmm... should I get this or that?
(Credit ZN) Looking around
Really well maintained
(Credit ZN) Despite it is during the noon, but the shade helps to cool down and brings in some breeze
(Credit ZN) Beautiful flowers array :D
(Credit ZN) I have to showcase his pictures taken by Huawei Pro 20
(Credit ZN) He spotted one of my favourite plants but he didn't inform me.
Sadly, not many people are interested to visit their nursery. I know they aren't making a lot, so visiting and buying some items are a way to keep their business going.
Time to go to our next stop.
Bollywood Veggies

After browsing flowery scene, it is time for veggies! Since Bollywood Veggies (link) is near Thong Hup Gardens, so we walk there.

I always hear people give good comments over Bollywood Veggies and today is my chance to explore the place
Entrance of Bollywood Veggies
Welcome to Veggies Paradise
Interesting sign - No Haolian (show-off) People! Hahaha
There are setup stalls like a flea market selling things like Quail's egg, honey and others.
If you are hungry, you can dine at Poison Ivy.
(Credit ZN) Do remember to take a guide of Bollywood Veggies and Kranji Countryside leaflet
We start from the left side
Hmm... in Bollywood Veggies, it will be great when we come during the 'ripe' period. Now the veggies and fruits are still developing.
They have some interesting theme for different part of the plots.
Such a big farm needs a lot of maintenance.
If there is a robot farmer will ease the farmers greatly.
And they can harvest the fruits at ease.
This place looks like a garden paradise and it is great to have a picnic session here with same minded friends.
Where is my mat?
Wow! Check out this thorny tree. Ouch ouch
(Credit ZN) Something shocks me! Don't tell me there will be someone naked???
Wooooooow...
We find no naked people around so let's take pictures and let imagination goes wild!
Shall I just stay here?
(Credit ZN) Oh oh oh! I find something interesting!
Lookout Point!
Lookout for my Miss Right
Looking and searching... *Insert Cricket sound* Hmmm... okay... I spot our express bus has arrived, Let's go!

Nyee Phoe (Gardenasia)

In the list of places which the express bus will take us, there is one place which I find it out of place - Nyee Phoe (Gardenasia).

Looks like a resort to me
With many things going on
Oooo... I still don't know what is this place for...
They have nice setting though.
Let me google... hmmm... Paste from Google - Gardenasia has had the privilege to now engage the community as a whole – school functions, wedding celebrations, socially responsible activities, and country staycations... oooooo! okay! Next!

Kin Yan Agrotech Pte Ltd

Finally, Kin Yan Agrotech Pte Ltd (link) is the place why I want to visit Kranji Farms. I am looking for mushroom kits! It is an organic farm where you can buy fresh edible cactuses, aloe vera, mushrooms etc etc! It is also one of the largest wheatgrass farm in Singapore.

Just a few meters away from Gardenasia
I remembered that I came here before
usually morning time is quite happening
Here, there is a stall which sells fresh fruits and veggies.
And I find this :D So exciting! Mushroom Growing Kit!
At the opposite side of the road, there is a place where sharing on how they grow wheatgrass and mushrooms.
Rows and rows of Wheatgrass sprouts.
(Credit ZN) Looks green and tasty :3
What I see is money-growing area.
Here is their growing mushroom zone.
Beautiful mushrooms :3
OOOOO here is a grow and process mushroom guide.
Got my mushroom growing kit for $10 :D So happy!
What a day. I will visit this place after my mushroom kit got expired. Hope you enjoy the short journey with me. So sorry I can't cover all, but with $3 on the express bus, you can cover most of them even without your own vehicle.

Updated 26 Apr 2019

Just less than a week, it GROWS MUSHROOM!!!! Free mushroom supply for these days!
Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Bo jio. I wanted very much to visit Kranji Farms too. A very interesting and natural place for both children and adults to explore. How long did you take to explore the various farms? Do you managed to visit all the farms or only selected ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha If you see, I was with my tenant ZN. NExt time I will go there to get more mushrooms then ask you to come along. Based on my blog post, i only visited those mentioned and took like six hours to tour around.

      Delete
    2. Wow it must be a very large place worth visiting our nature.You took 6 hours to just visit some places. Do you manage to see the vegetable farms where some of these are grown for local consumption?

      Delete
    3. Nope I didn't manage to visit such places. Why six hours because we lost our way and some more we we're waiting for the express bus to arrive

      Delete

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog