Saturday, February 8, 2020

Trip - Sisters' Island Exploration

Hi Blog,

There was one thing which made my Feb of 2020 an exciting one - which is a trip to Sister's Island! :D TS, the organiser of our Pulau Hantu trip previously (blog post 2019 and 2017)

On my way to Marina South Pier where TS was gathering everyone at, and nearer to Sister's Island.
So excited as you can see from my ugly face. Because in order to visit sister's Island, you need to charter a boat for your own, just like Pulau Hantu.
TS made an itinerary and things to take note of. (I just simply copy the whole content of what he had written so you can take it as you are going too)

==================================

𝗦𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀’ 𝗜𝘀𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗦𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗮𝗽𝗼𝗿𝗲’𝘀 𝗯𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗳 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿-𝗲𝗻𝗱. It will see the marine park get an additional 500 sq m of reef area to support existing habitat enhancement & reef restoration efforts to conserve marine biodiversity.

Singapore's southern Sisters' Islands, together with its surrounding waters, has been designated as the first-ever marine park in the nation's history.

And when the tide goes low at Big Sister's Island, we can see many other marine life at the shores, without having to snorkel or dive, i.e. NEMO clownfish, sea anemone, brittle starfish, sea cucumbers, worm cast, moon snail, and nudibranch. And if you are really lucky, you might just chance upon a very rare sighting of a baby reef shark.

𝗙𝗹𝘂𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗖𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗹𝘀: Unlike fireflies, glowworms, and other bioluminescent creatures, these brilliant corals don't glow on their own. Instead, they absorb one color of light and emit light of another color— a process known as fluorescence. Fluorescent objects absorb light at certain wavelengths, then reemit it. 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙗𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙨.

𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙚𝙣𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝, 𝙪𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 UV 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙬𝙚'𝙡𝙡 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪.
Many corals (and sometimes other reef organisms, as you’ll see) fluoresce under UV light, and that lends to the reef a surreal and psychedelic feel if you SCUBA at night and bring a blacklight with you. In this case, the corals absorb the UV, which we can’t see, and they re-emit it in the visible wavelengths that we can, and so the corals appear to glow or emit their own light because they are. The effect is quite stunning. 𝗕𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗨 𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗽𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 & 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗹𝘀!

On 1633 𝙝𝙧𝙨, 𝙩𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙨𝙩 @ 0.4 𝙢. 𝙋𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩.

𝘼𝙨 𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙚𝙛𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙘𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙣 𝙪𝙥 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙖, 𝙬𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙣𝙫𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙟𝙤𝙞𝙣 𝙪𝙨 & 𝙥𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙪𝙥 𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙨 & 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙝 (𝙚𝙨𝙥. 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙨) 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩.

We have limited slots available only, due to the size of the ferry.
This event is suitable for people of all ages. We need a min. 10 pax for this event.

Come explore with us, be our eyes, and see what other interesting life you get to see on Big Sister's Island. Singapore's very own Marine Park.

Program:
◙ Assemble at Marina South Pier & collect dinner pack
◙ Ferry to Big Sister's Island
◙ Compulsory briefing on Minimizing our impact on the island
◙ Guided Big Sister's Island & marine life at low tide
◙ Self-Heating dinner + tea/coffee
◙ Guided 𝗙𝗹𝘂𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗖𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗹𝘀
◙ Depart to Lazarus for Night Walk
◙ Ferry back

► You are to bring
✅ 1.5 litre of tap water
✅ Personal Utensil & Cup
✅ Insects repellent
✅ Torchlight
✅ Covered shoe
** Please do not use hammocks on the island.

===================================

Arrived and it was unusual for my brain to process this scene because I was so used to arrive here in the morning but now I was here in the afternoon.
TS was gathering everyone and told me that there were a lot of members cancelled this trip and have extra slots. Oh man, if I know earlier, I would have asked my friends to tag along! It is bad when most of my friends keep on thinking that I don't jio them and forget what circumstances that I am in. Sigh...
Back to the harbour :)
Today we will be taking different type of boat
Here was our chartered boat
let's sail off now!
The boat bladed through the sea to the unexplored island
Weeeeeee
I am really a fat pig... I guess what to expect from this face
(Credit one of the members as I helped him to take picture of him with his GF) Smile because I am single while everyone went as a family or couple, and I am a single shxt Hahaha!
Finally, there is a chance to see the back of Sir John Island and it seems like it is accessible.
Sister's Island ahead. I read somewhere there was a legend behind the naming of the island. To summarise, there were two close sisters living with their uncle and a group of pirates started to raid the town, then the chief pirate fell in love with the elder sister, wanted to take her away with the exchange of her uncle and sister's live. While she was taken away to the ship, the younger sister wanted to be with her sister and swam in the sea but drowned eventually. The elder sister saw the situation and decided to join her sister... Then a thunder storm swept the sea and their bodies could not be found. After the stormy night, the villagers spotted two newly risen islands where the two sisters might be drowned at; so they named that islands as "sister's Island".
On the left (big Sister Island) and right (small Sister Island), both sisters look about the same size.
We were the first team sailing to Sister's Island and TS will lead another two more groups behind (some late comers). As for me, I can't wait to step my foot on that island!
But still a distance away...
Closer... Closer...
Safe Landed!
We will visit Pulau Subar Laut means Big Sister Island which is opened for public-visit while Pulau Subar Darat means Small Sister Island is not open to the public due to marine animals to live undisturbed on the island.
Look at how clean the seawater is (can't compare with other famous islands)
(Credit E for the picture) Smile everyone. For me, I finally made it.
While others moving in together, as a single like me, just for photo session
Just like Pulau Hantu, thin trees reaching the sky and looked like this island has an autumn season
Check out the island residents - monkeys. Hope I wish to bring Hantu-monkey here to return to his clan.
The monkeys just chilled and looking out for potential victims who brings food in colourful bags.
A simple message from NEA for Park Etiquette we should have
Welcome-sign stands in front of a thick wood :)
A simple path and island layout, you won't get lost on this island
based on TS's info, when we landed Sister's Island around 330pm which was the timing when low tide was about to start, that was the time for me to start my exploration alone!
What a clean sand as compared to Pulau Hantu!
Those plants somehow interested me... for ecosphere.
Most of the corals and marine creatures were exposed
I am really impressed with how clean the shore is. Let me show you what I had found.
Weird green plants like
Many corals spotted - clearly in front of me
The water was so CLEAR, you can see a pistol shrimp and it is everywhere
Hmmm Portidae or mushroom type Coral. From the help of this link, I can name it properly.
Massive Coral and it was everywhere! Just look at how big is this! It took them many many years to grow until this size!
Look! What did we find here?
A giant Hermit crab! it was not shy in front of me
but when it was picked up, it will hide within the shell. I guess it is very camera-shy
Even another one and also a camera shy
I guess once it is in water, it will feel comfortable in its own space; just like myself... living in my own space.
:) Thanks for saying hi
As I walked further...
I noticed one massive coral overturned. So I helped to its upright position.
ooo A red thingy XD
More corals in different colours, sizes and shapes spotted
I had arrived to the edge of the lagoon and now it was at the lowest peak of low tide.
It seemed deserted but in fact... here is filled with life forms.
Oops I deleted and lost that video :-(
Listen to the sound of this place. Did you hear a lot of snapping? Yes, those were from the piston shrimps.
OH OH! Something came out!
It is a hairy crab!
Looks like a Chewbacca! Hahaha!
a giant sea anemone spotted
Looking back from where I stood. I had walked that far!
And took a picture for myself. Without my photographer, my life (blog) will be empty XD
Spotted a lot of these weird marine plant-like or creature.
OOOO! This snail owner is a big gastropod (Calliostoma virescens) and when it died, Hermit crab took over.
Sea Roach, just like isopod. They are cute.
When you are alone and no one is around, you will... YES! take picture of my miserable life. Hahaha!
Time to return to the shore as the second group is coming.
TS gathered everyone and had a simple briefing session
TS told us there are other places to explore while it was low tide.
OH! Another lagoon.
Did you see something special
ooooo! Sea Star hiding in the sand
Let's check the little feet of a Sea Star
OH! it is the same sea anemone which I saw in Pulau Hantu, if you can remember.
Spotted another Hermit Crab and it is so cute.
Sea cucumber is everywhere
The kids claimed they found Clown fish but I better leave them with their parents than a weirdo comes into their zone.
OH man! Sea slut! Not Slut! I meant Slug.
Some simple and small coral in blue.
Another smaller sea slug
OH MY GOD! I can't believe to see a life Bobbit Worm in SG!
(Images from one of the visitors) They witnessed that Bobbit Worm was about to attack the sea slug and lucky, the sea slug escaped from its jaw.
Caught a smaller crab and trying my best to engage with other visitors. But they are interested with this guy :) I become its wingman.
Wow! This is one BIG coral!
Some of the beautiful corals too
Exploring :) What a scene when we just simply awed by whatever the shore showed to us.
Windy and clean water are a reward to me
I was trying to video the Hermit Crab steps out from its shell but it is TOO shy.
I guess I will take it when they are in the water. Here is a smaller hermit crab.
(Image from one of the visitors) They spotted Clown fish :D But got irritated when they kept on saying "Nemo Nemo"! THIS IS A CLOWNFISH! Don't ask why it is a CLOWN! WHO IS STUPID TO NAME IT THIS WAY or WE ARE STUPID TO DONT GET IT?!
Lastly, a cute sea hare :3
Or to end with a weird creature spotted at the shore too - me! Hahah! Shameless.
Trying to capture some nice shots for myself.
What about this rocky area? Okay! Let's try here since no one around me.
Personally, Back shot is better than...
my frontal shot... ugly, untoned and shxtty. Yucky...
hahaha I just laughed at myself which doesn't need others to throw me bad comments.
I am used to it. That's me! Fat and ugly. Hahaha... In my own blog, it is my moment of living. :)
Mother Nature won't care how ugly a person is; She embraces everyone. There is why I like to be with Mother Nature. And now, she turns into Mother Sea. :) A picture of me with Mother Sea. That's all I asked for.
. .
I regret that I didn't bring my tripod for taking pictures. So well, I will try my best to capture pictures.
I just realised that no one is at the same lagoon with me. Hahaha...
I will end my last shot here before moving to another lagoon.
There is something simpler on the land too.
And complex ones - family of monkeys
There is one toilet but no working water system. Just wash your legs will do. If you need to shxt, it is best to do it before you come to Sister's Island because you can't flush it and the smell will stay... be considerate.
I tried the shore near the harbour and this place looks rather rocky.
Here, you can see the great formation of the ancient rock which grows and washes for years.
I returned to the first lagoon and the water resided a lot.
At least, I got a chance to find a sea urchin. :) Nice :D
Beautiful Sunset at Sister's Island
Sadly, TS wanted to use my UV torch to show the visitors on the luminous corals but we need to leave this island by 730pm and this month, the sun will set later... and it was so bright, my UV torch won't work well. So I just had to show the visitors the photos taken from hantu.
Time to go to Lazarus Island for dinner where monkeys aren't around
Let me show you around
Families, couples and friends. me a nerd smiling and entertaining myself. LOL
Time to sail to Lazurus Island
Pitch dark and this timing is perfect to view the corals under UV torch
Here we will have to sail past St John Island
My First time to witness ST John Island at night and now I was so excited because got to visit Lazurus Island at night too!
Blue water turned into black. Scary :3
loud music can be heard from this bright yacht
The only place where there are lamps located at the harbour of Lazaurs
After that, it will be a pitch dark path waiting for you
In fact, you don't even need a torch. Miss Moon was leading the path.
We gathered near the toilet (the only toilet) to have dinner
meanwhile, the wealthy youngsters were having fun with loud music and party their lives
Thanks TS for cooking this for me.
I walked to the beach and brought a couple to the beach, then told them to come to Lazarus Island in the day time. :) I hope both of them doing well in the future.
It was 930pm, time to go back to Singapore.
Thanks TS and some visitors for being approachable :) it was not easy for an introvert to feel happy and I hope you will enjoy the trip as I do too.

Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Wow .... next time please invite me when you go on these trips , looks really fun

    ReplyDelete

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog