Monday, October 17, 2016

Cycle - Fatbike Rims and A Visit at Varenta Cycle Store

Hi Blog,

Previously I went to Nex (post link) to fix my brake issue (brake pads issue caused sharp noise whenever I braked) and ended up I got no more noise, due to the hydraulic oil leaked. And my friend told me there is crack line on my tyres so meaning be prepared to change my tyres.

So I decided to check online for my future upgrade on my fat bike tyres and rim. I found that there are many different types of Fatbike rims in the market but due to, lack of exposure of such field and knowledge, I simply classified them into four types based on its outlook (this is personal view on this topic; I am no expert in fatbike field.)

They come in many colours and materials, there are some cheap looking and carbon fiber wheel sets.
I remember my first fatbike has a glossy green rim (image) - unique and I am kind of missed it....
Many holes version rims also come in different colour but usually colour holes.
They are made to discount the weight of the rims.
They are also one of the common rims for fatbike and look cool!
Nextie version is a new one which I bumped randomly when I googled last time.
I feel they look Bright and loud! I love the contrast of colour on the wheel set and brand name.
It is just like CK underwear which people tend to show the thick band of the undies.
I love this type. :D (especially the white text on black rim)
OMG! This is wicked! Aerodynamic style!
I did some research on it (not many people discussed about it)
not many people like the look of it, not advisable to ride it off road,
and if it spoiled, you need to change the whole thing including the hub.
I will love to get this.... but kind of heavier than Nextie version.
What else I can say.... Crazy shxt.... okay!
Okay! Anyway back to topic, I went to Nextie website to look at Nextie type rim and checked the distributor in Singapore. I found out beside Secret Society, there is one more distributor - Varenta Cycle (facebook link)

So I PM them through facebook and managed to get contact with them. I decided to pay them a visit since it was quite near where my route from my house to my workplace.

So during school holiday I cycled to work and brought my fatbike to visit a bike doctor.
here is the building - Oxley Biz Hub 1
I can spot a bicycle fame.
Overview of the building
Exterior of Varenta Cycle
I chatted with the owner of Varenta Cycle, Kylene, he was a young chap who is knowledge of any bike stuff. One thing that I am delighted to know, is he is different from most of the cycling store where some tends to be a bit "arrogant" or "hard selling". Just happened there was a group of teens visited his store, the sharing and advises he provided, he doesn't end it at sale level but more on providing personal view over matters, then recommending to them with options and work on their budget. I am impressed and I can trust my bike with him.

FYI: I didn't take any interior shot of his store because he is shy and doesn't want to be "too showery" to public, so I respect his decision.

He recommended me a 650B rim which is smaller than fatty tire (as compared),
but slightly thicker than a mountain bike tire.
I am kind of moved and lost because....

Here are the few points to consider:
- 650B much slimmer and cheaper 45% than fatbike tire, 

 but might need to change my bike fame and no longer a fatbike. 
- it might ride faster. 
- fatbike tire lasts longer.
- fatbike tire stability 20% higher than 650B

but some of my instagram followers:
- the_official_haashir said that he won't change because he will tend to miss things so it is better don't change.
- Ongcr_ siad that don't change. best to stay comfortable with what I am using.
- thesuspect.jpg said that Don't change and use what I am comfortable with.

and some trolls too:
- eeeejiiiin said that switch to 700c 23mm typres. Oh gosh....
By the way, he told me to wash my bike to maintain its lifespan and recommend me to visit nearby bike store to fix my brake issue. Thanks for his advise.

my dirty tires
dirty disc brake
dirty fame
dirty everywhere!
preparing to bath my waifu
done with soap! Nice and Clean!
One day I will visit the bike store near my place and thank you Kylene. :)

=====================================
Updated on 17th Dec 2019


Varenta Cycle had shifted its store to elsewhere north which Kylene wants to keep it low profile first. I hope he recovered from his setbacks... I will upgrade my waifu on June 2020, I can only give him some support whether I can.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog