Sunday, February 5, 2023

Hiking - Finding the Rabbit Hole

Good morning Blog,

After my Saturday long-day event, I went home in the morning and caught a nap... Until noon...

The weather was so good that I should not just sleep throughout and since my emotions were still darkened yet, so...
Yes, I dressed up and was ready for a hike but to be honest, I felt rather empty because I didn't know where should I go...

...then I saw one pin that the coordinate was given by one hiker in the FB group. I saw from the pictures there is a small bunker.
Since I decided to explore only a little, this seemed doable based on the map.
Let's go!
Hmmm... It seemed like I could travel by bus since it is a direct bus.
Nice weather today and great to see Miss Sky smiling towards us.
Hmm... Walking towards Dempsey Hill... I felt I was in a different place... Like another country. The buildings, people, cars, environment here... Too 'atas' ((ah-tahs) meaning in Malay for “up or high up”, which is usually used to describe something or someone as luxurious, upper class or “high SES”) or out-of-place for me...
Anyway, as I wondered... I had arrived in Dempsey and honestly, I saw many rich cars driving in and out. I felt out of place somehow... But I tried to stay focused and spot one spot at the entrance...
An old staircase resting here and the end of the staircase leads to nowhere. I googled a bit and found out here was used to be British Empire barracks. (read more about it)
That explains why the building structures here are so special. The brick texture makes this place unique and outstanding.
I believe this tree has witnessed the changes here and hope you can tell me more in any form.
A place where I don't land my Low SES's foot on.
As you can see, these historic buildings had been preserved and became a place for dining and cafes. Classic vibe.
Okay, based on the map, the pin was down below.
Hmm... Open my eyes widely and my back... noticed a lady staring at a weirdo in such disgusting attire and witnessed my selfie moment.
hmm... weird... I don't seem to be able to find what it was pinned... It should be near the staircase...
Let me show you.
This was what I saw. From the coordinate given... it should be here... I guess... I was given the wrong coordinate... Why does that person have to do this...Luckily, I was not led into a deep forest.
Feeling disappointed but I understand that there must be some reasons why he/she did that.
Did you see this stair which led to nowhere? History had taken this place and marked it as memories of the past. Perhaps whatever happened to our present can also become memories of the past too; similar to that coordinate... it was hidden away. Sometimes, I wished I could travel in a time machine to be able to see and study the past.
Oh well... since I can't find that place but there is one place I noticed most hikers will go when they visit this hill...
Yes! I found it! The Rabbit Hole! It was behind a church-like building.
Looked abandoned...
and a beautiful grass-made snake was placed on the table. I almost thought it was real. I would love to keep this one on my next visit if it is still there next time.
Nice chilling place but it has become a mosquitoes' chilling area too...
The legendary 'The Rabbit Hole'! Finally!
Looking through the hole it was an open field.
Since I was here, let's snap a few pictures with this hole.
Hmmm... It made me recall of the The Vitruvian Man drawing by Leonardo da Vinci.
Hmmm... I failed to be able to place my camera in the centre... and failed to become the legendary Vitruvian Man. I will have to try again next time on my next visit.
When there is a rabbit hole, there is definitely a rabbit around...
...but they are caged in.
Oh dear! SET ME FREE!
Just a bit of my wild imagination...
Since I had a bit of time and...
...somewhere nearby got one bunker.
Do you know that bunker?
Yes! That is Kay Siang Bunker. (blog link)
The entrance was heavily blocked by the foliage.
Hmmm... Will I get lost inside?
Luckily, I was not but the ground... muddy and filled with ants.
Nice looking bunker here.
The beautiful one is this Banyan Plant webbing the whole place like its own space.
I should have used my phone for a better photo and focus. Wasted...
Love to snap some more pictures here but... The mosquitoes and ants hate me to stay here too long...
I just did a quick standard photo and exited the place ASAP.
Even by sitting down here, my butt was climbing with ants, telling me to get lost.
As I explored deeper and came to the second bunker... Miss Sky started to rain...
I had to hurry my step and took one last look at the amazing bunker with Banyan Tree...
Roaring Thunderstorm over my head, calling to end my hike for now.
To reflect on today's hike... The Rabbit Hole... is a metaphor for something that transports someone into another surreal place or situation. I can relate to every hike I visited, it was like I entered to a different world and absorbed every last bit of the memory fragments.
Sometimes I will need Miss Sky to pull me back to the present world. Anyway, thank goodness that there is a direct bus back to my home.
At least, I won't need to take a train and exchange many stops to reach home. Don't judge me.
Overall, I will consider Today's hike a failure because I can't locate the bunker... I will visit again to complete it.
Times to rain my plants for a good shower.
Feeling disappointed as I can't find it... I hope no one gets lost trying to find it. I will ask the pro and get a rough idea of where it is... Sooner I will be back.

Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Just as I was stunned by the banyan posts in https://www.facebook.com/groups/singaporehikers/permalink/3112743349025193/?mibextid=Nif5oz, I realized you got yours too. Where to find these? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Isaac. I can't see anything from that fb link. I think it is private

      Delete

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog