Monday, November 11, 2019

Personal - P4 Camping

Hi Blog,

In July 19 (post), I went for P5 Camp, feeling refreshing and regretful because I felt that I missed out one activity which I always want to do - the high element due to I was wearing shorts. I swore of my return to complete my wishlist for the next camp.

A few days after the P5 Camp, J approached me and told me that they will have another camp for P4 which they will like to invite me to help out again, And my answer was... YES!
On Oct 19, we went down for a recce session with P4 teachers.
A video of the recce sites and some interesting explanation of Daily Farm Quarry. Pardon me for an ugly nerd walking around to spoil the video
Ugly Nerd is ready!
Carrying all these bags made my back sweat
After a moment of chaotic management in school, we managed to collect the chaotic to this quiet place for three days.
Are Mr and Mrs Tree ready for the chaotic?
Animals start to find their next resting place
Monkeys are ready to learn and observe how other monkeys misbehaving.
Water still running or perhaps will run more or it is crying?
Fishes are spreading news of human-monkeys arrival
Here we are!
This time round, it was a different instructor.
At least, he managed them well. I can sit aside and chill with Miss L.
Time for their life skill lesson
Washing their own dishes - hoping they will do this at home.
Low wall challenge - Which makes them to work as a team. For the P4, they are still very individualistic and need a longer time to break such wall.
Appreciate Nature - they don't usually touch and learn much about the nature until they 'bring themselves forward' to the nature.
Appreciate the beauty of the flowers
And critters
Sometimes if you are lucky enough you might spot some wildboats (oops I misspelled it until Rf found out)! Especially in the dark.
Morning pickup, have to chase them to dress up and tidy their dorm but it is an enjoyment.
The next day, this was what I was waiting for! Despite the smelly helmet and weird-feeling harness.
Safety lesson for High Element
Teaching how to wear the harness and put on the helmet
Somehow... I realised that they don't have enough harness for the adult.. so meaning I don't get a chance to go for high element.... TT_TT
Then Miss L told me to ask for it... but I didn't want to push situation... Miss L just informed the instructor for extra harness. And... I got the kid's harness! YIPPEE!!!
I felt so happy and excited; and credit Miss L for this.
Basic safety precautions application session
The high element most important thing is this err... (i forgot its name) I will name it as smiley-face. We have to make sure that we have smiley-face facing away from us when we hook it over the cable line.
The instructor was very serious over safety. I guess younger kids really need a lot of drilling.
Time to get on those ropes :3
(credit Miss L) did you spot where am I?  Yes, up there. I was there to "save" myself from height-fear and encourage an Indian pupil to walk on the ropes
Believe me... When you were up there, it was a shaky and scary experience. All I have, is the lanyard which gives me all the support. It is not easy... I learned it is also not easy for the students to walk on through this high element, it requires a great deal of courage and motivation to clear each and every challenge.
(Credit Mr E) I learn that I have to trust the lanyard (just like people around us) it always there for me, giving me the safety support and wants me to counter my fears. Thank you Lanyard (the people around me)
Next stop - Rock climbing! I always want to try one of these but I won't want to spend money on it. Our camp instructor tried to explain to the kids on the safety precautions patiently.
We need to follow/recite some safety questions before climbing up. Everyone just can't wait to climb
Hmm... How come my legs are screaming to go on it....
On the left - adults and on the right - adult-kid. LOL!
Start!
YES! It is my turn to climb and I was asked to take the left side of the wall despite there was slot in the center. The kids were cheering for me and I was load of confident, felt like a REAL spiderman!
but Half way through I was struck at here for a long time, the cheering died off as the kids were puzzled. For me, I realised there is NO more rocks for me to grab onto. I tried so hard to hang in there, Either I make a leap jump like a pro or climb over to the center column but there was kid under me. In the end... I had to let it go...
I was disappointed with myself for unable to make it to the top, returned with all the back and finger aches, but I know that I had done my best. I heard from the camp instructor, they will want the kids to learn to accept failures on purpose. So I guess it is something which I have yet learned when I was a kid. I will have to pick up myself from where I fell.
Night time, we have an environment friendly campfire. It is a great idea to instill to the youngsters for saving world through small gesture and thought.
Thank you Mother Nature for Zero Incident camping experience.
Always in every single picture but always unseen. I guess it is my destiny being an unsung individual.
I heard next year camp will be somewhere deeper in the wood. Can't wait for it!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog