Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Trip - My Sharing on Myanmar Experience

Hi Blog,

From 23 Dec to 29 Dec, I went to Myanmar country for some missionary work. So I woke up early for flight SQ998 to Yangon 7:55am so I took a cab by using Uber app (quite interesting I will share more about it)



So exciting! This was my third chance for taking a plane. I know many people think I am a Noob or naive. Well.. Who cares?!


Sigh. Sad thing was I don't have window seat to take tumblr-like pictures so we seated in the middle row with my friends. Well, it will convenient for communication and food distribution. 


Here is Singapore Airline vegetarian food menu.


After 2 hours and 30 mins of flight to Myanmar and watched 85% of planet of the ape movie on plane, we managed to land safely. Thanks God.


Myanmar timing is 1hour 30mins backward from Singapore timing, that means I have 1hour 30mins extra than usual. We were welcomed by cloudless  blue sky in Myanmar airport and temperature is not that cold or warm. :) so happy to see there are many foreigners visited this country - that meant the country will start to open up. 


The first thing I noticed that the Burmese wears Longyi nevertheless they are male or female. The male wears their longyi differently from the female - they have to tie a nod infront of their tummy to secure their longyi, whereas the female will wear theirs like the Malays.


The second thing which captured my attention is their face. They apply a bright yellow powder as contrast with their toned skin - some will apply their whole face, some will apply on their cheek circular manner, some will even apply onto their neck and arms. That is what they called, Thanakha. I understand that it is grind from a piece of wood log. It serves like a sun block and improve facial complexions. 


The third thing is their clear cloudless sky! It contrasts the buildings beautifully. Feeling good! Even though it is sunny but not as painful as Singapore sunny cloudy condition. Based on the local, they claim it is seasonal, there are rainy, dry and hot seasons. This time round should be dry season.


As a nature lover myself, The forth thing I will take note of, is their plants along the streets. Unlike Singapore, where every space they will have grasses, but in Myanmar, I see trees growing on black poor soil conditions and they don't have much competitors to fight for growing place because around their stem is solid cement! Surprisingly they grow big and well! Majority trees species are mango trees, very hardy plants even though the street is dusty. Based on local, there will be a season when the trees loaded with mango fruits! It will be an amazing sight If I have a chance to witness it myself.
 

Oh yes I have to mention something about their fruits especially their banana! Just look at the unique shape of Myanmar banana! It's triangular shape and size make them look solid.


Even though the roads are dusty, but it is not unhealthy like having smokers smoking their way in Singapore. The fifth thing is that there isn't many smokers holding cigarettes Inbetween their fingers. Most of them take betel nuts which stain their teeth and gum in reddish and blackish colour. Beside staining their teeth, they stain the floor by spitting out. Sigh.... Why would anyone do that for? 

Image From Wikipedia

Talking about their road, the sixth thing I noticed is their traffic system. Unlike Singapore, the drivers or people will follow the rules of road safety, sometimes a fence forced to build in between the traffic to prevent us from J-walking across. I believe due to Singapore fine practice and law, together With schools education toward the youngs to follow road safety. But in Myanmar, no. Everyone just cross the road freely, even there are cars driving toward them, they will just walk across the road ignoring the vehicle. It took me some courage to cross the road. I also noticed the driving speed is around 40-50km/hr and the drivers will often slow down their speed for passerby to cross the road. You will also rarely see traffic lights help to maintain the traffic flow. I guess it's their way of living. Oh yes! One more noticeable fact on their road, there isn't any motorcycle at all! Unless you mean their bicycles without motors.


The seventh thing about Myanmar is that there will have a blackout once in every two day. It can last for hours. Look at their electricity cables outside their house and the amount of birds parked there, full respect to whoever who is repairing it with risks. The people are used to it and even crack joke about it. Myanmar chinese word is 緬甸 (mián diàn) and 免電 (mián diàn) has similar reading; another word, 免電 (mián diàn) stands for "don't enquire any electricity". What a simple joke to ease the negativeness.


Lastly is how they handle trash. I will say their backyards or alleys are filled with trashes! Unlike Singapore, the trash bins are everywhere, but for them, the only trash bin is located at the opening to main road. But I am surprised to see that they will divide the recyclable and non-recyclable items, as those recyclable items can give to the people to exchange for a bit of cash. 


Why do I go to Myanmar?  Haha blog, because I am doing some duties there :) preparing a Christmas party for the people and painting the holy house.

We spent almost 5 hours to wrap this presents, feel completed after we had done.

I learned a lot of thing while painting the house. I won't explain here, I will save it for my own preference :)


Wow what a post! I will go and prepare writing other posts then :) oh yes before I forget! I found some Apple Stores in Myanmar holding the apple name but weird thing is they don't sell apple products.... Or maybe I didn't go in. But the common idea of those names are just too mainstream


And selfie for the day at groceries store and their currency!

SMILE!

Jeff

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice sharing! I learnt a lot of about this mysterious country, Myanmar.Maybe in the near future, I can go there, to see what is happening there~
    希望能夠一睹在書中讀到過的,翁山蘇姬曾經奮鬥過的國家的風采!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 是的!你一定要過去那兒看看。在緬甸正在開發,去體會當地的風俗民情!

      Delete

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog