Saturday, July 13, 2024

Trip - Visit Batam

Hi Blog,

It was early morning... Yawning... As I didn't have enough sleep... Saturday morning where was I going to?

Mr Sun had not woken up yet, so where was I heading? As titled, yes! I was heading to Batam! Yippee!
Yippee! As promised, I went to Batam with RD after planning it for a while. RD generously offered to treat me on this trip, and I’m really grateful for the kind gesture. This will be my second visit to Batam (my first visit was documented in my previous posts), and travelling with a friend promises to make this experience even more memorable.

Interestingly, I realised I was wearing the same shirt during my first visit to Batam! 😂
That means I love this shirt! Who is reading my shirt? I doubt people will read the words on my shirt if I have a manly muscular chest. Oh well...
So, let's get back to the journey. I was surprised to see many people here early in the morning. It's likely because this station connects Singapore and Batam.
Everyone gathered at Maritime Square Ferry Terminal.
Hmm 🤔 when can I go on a cruise again...
As soon as they said the gate was open, we got in line for check-in.
During my check-in process, I happened to see a port. A security guard promptly approached me and politely reminded me that photography was not allowed in that area. He kindly requested that I delete the picture. I guess it is a good thing that they are doing their job well and ensuring security cannot be compromised. Thumbs up for it and down for troublemakers like me.
I guessed this zone is where the travellers will wait for the final gate to open for onboard.
(thanks RD) Similar to the airport, there are tax-free shops that typically sell alcohol and other products. Why can't they sell something else?
Okay, here was where the zone got chaotic and unorganised. Firstly, the display screen was too clustered and unable to show useful information to the visitors. Secondly, there was no crowd control or queue line; it will definitely confuse me if I travel alone.
Yippee! Time to sail!
Majestic Ultimate Ferry ⛴ to Batam
The security guards requested our boarding passes, likely as part of security protocol.
Passengers began boarding the ferry. Travelling in a large group should get on the ferry earlier to ensure seating together, while solo travellers have plenty of available seats.
Goodbye Singapore!
(Credit RD) Is anyone reading my shirt?
When I gaze upon the vast sky and ocean, my mind becomes empty, and I realize that my problems are insignificant, and yet, knowing there is a mission given to each of us puts a little smile on my face.
After a while, Batam was there to welcome us.
The harbour appears to be well-utilized, judging by the worn-out rubber.
Batam Center Point International Ferry Terminal
Glad it was a safe ride.
I recall this place, and it appears they haven't altered it much since my previous visit.
RH mentioned wanting to eat something, but unfortunately, there was no vegetarian option. Consequently, I opted for Ovaltine Dino. It's my first time trying Ovaltine, and I have to admit, I'm quite fond of it! It even outshines Milo! 😂
(Credit RD) Sorry Milo fans, I have switched sides. In fact, I didn't take sides at all; I wasn't a fan of Milo, but now I am. I am a fan of Ovaltine! XD
Honestly, I've heard mixed opinions about Batam from people. Some like it, but others find it mediocre. Personally, I would like to visit some shopping malls in Batam and explore the area, but I understand we only have a day here, so I need to manage my expectations. I will set it as Batam Shopping Mall exploration and score them accordingly to add some fun.
Cleanliness and Maintenance Variety of Stores and Services Ambience and Atmosphere Customer Service (in general) Food and Beverage Options Overall Experience
1-3 points:

Poor (unclean, damaged facilities)
1-3 points:

Limited (few stores, lacking essential services)
1-3 points:

Uninviting (poor lighting, uncomfortable seating)
1-3 points:

Poor (unfriendly staff, unhelpful)
1-3 points:

Limited (few options, low quality)
1-3 points:

Disappointing
4-6 points:

Good (clean, well-maintained)
4-6 points:

Good (range of stores, basic services)
4-6 points:

Pleasant (adequate lighting, comfortable seating)
4-6 points:

Good (friendly staff, helpful)
4-6 points:

Good (range of options, decent quality)
4-6 points:

Satisfactory
7-9 points:

Excellent (spotless, modern facilities)
7-9 points:

Excellent (diverse stores, comprehensive services)
7-9 points:

Inviting (attractive decor, relaxing atmosphere)
7-9 points:

Excellent (exceptional service, went above and beyond)
7-9 points:

Excellent (diverse options, high-quality cuisine)
7-9 points:

Exceptional
Okay, to score a mall. Chat has provided this rubric which helps to evaluate and compare shopping malls based on various aspects. We might not be able to cover everything but based on a general view.
Our first stop was Great Batam Mall, which happens to be the mall nearest to the harbour. As you cross the bridge to the mall, take a moment to observe the seemingly chaotic yet strangely organized car park.

Mega Mall Batam Centre

The mall has a typical layout, with plenty of space and fewer crowds. It was surprising to see how empty it was, considering its proximity to the harbour.
I was thinking, maybe it's because of the timing—especially on a Saturday when many tourists who arrive in Batam are focused on reaching their next destination, rather than carrying their bags or luggage around for shopping.
The layout of most new malls in Batam is quite similar, especially when it comes to allocating space for events and booths. It's an effective way to attract crowds.
I won't be taking photos of the shophouses, as that's not my main focus and it would be too overwhelming to include in my blog. I did capture a general sense of what the mall looks like.
Cleanliness and Maintenance Variety of Stores and Services Ambience and Atmosphere Customer Service (in general) Food and Beverage Options Overall Experience
Jeff 8.5 8 7 6 7.5 7
RD 8.5 8.5 8 6 8 7.5
Scoring Board for Mega Mall Batam Centre. You know, they sell all sorts of things, but it's like... meh. Wonder why I feel that way?
Anyway, I decided to set that enquiry aside, and we headed down to our hotel by taxi. A taxi driver approached us and quoted a price. I was a bit sceptical because I had heard many people sharing their bad experiences with taxis. I guess as long as they honoured the agreed price after we reached our destination, I was fine with taking a taxi.
Batam Street is just like Malaysia Johor Bahru.
I tried to take a motion blur shot, but it didn't work out. Looks like I need to figure out how to use the pro mode on my phone...

Nagoya Hill Hotel

After a short while, we arrived at Nagoya Hill Hotel.
Where we would be staying together for a night. What a great lobby.
And a beautiful Light Atelier which only the wealthy can afford, and I can only admire.
The warm and welcoming atmosphere creates a sense of home for us.
I am staying at a hotel with a floor that is not carpeted for the first time.
Comfortable and tidy room suitable for a night stay.
Satisfied with the toilet too
Yippee! I was so excited about it. Why so?
Because RD told me that this hotel has...
SWIMMING POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, RD for booking a hotel with a swimming pool, so I can burn at least 0.01% of fat.
(Credit RD) but... RD... are you judging me from my untoned plain back?
(Credit RD) Since you don't mind helping me to snap...
(Credit RD) RD kindly assisted me by taking photographs as I prepared to go for a swim.
(Credit RD) But don't take me washing up which will disgust others.
(Credit RD) Oh, I'm going to go for a swim. Are you sure you don't mind waiting for me?
(Credit RD) Hmm... The pool was short, and I could swim across it with just a few breaths.
The water was chilly, but I found joy in the refreshing sensation of being able to swim. I was relieved to discover that the pool was clean!
(Credit RD) Just a short swim RD, you should go for a dip together...
(Credit RD) or a BIG DIP!!!
(Credit RD) I initially wanted to get a suntan, but it's essential to prioritize our objective for this Batam trip over leisure activities like swimming.

Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre

Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre is conveniently situated next to Nagoya Hill Hotel, making it an ideal spot for shopping, food and other activities like massage services too.
For first-time tourists in Batam, it's one of the top shopping choices.
In contrast to typical shopping malls, this particular one attracted shoppers with its variety of food options and small stalls, creating a lively atmosphere.
Please take a moment to appreciate the main hall—the elegant, circular golden ceiling gives it a grand feel! Unfortunately, the lack of air conditioning hints at its age.
I find this area of the mall quite charming; it sets it apart from other Batam malls I've visited. The heritage building's structure is truly lovely.
Cleanliness and Maintenance Variety of Stores and Services Ambience and Atmosphere Customer Service (in general) Food and Beverage Options Overall Experience
Jeff 7 9 6.5 8 9 7
RD 7 8 7 8 9 7.5
Scoring board for Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre. Overall, the mall offers everything visitors and local residents could want, although locals may not be the main target. There is affordable food and a variety of store options. 
When it comes to food, this mall has a small, humble-looking vegetarian stall, Kedai Vegetarian Aho.
Selling simple food
The price of the food surprised me because it was so affordable! I fell in love with it immediately, and the chilli paste included with it was absolutely heavenly!
I love the chilli paste so much, and ended up getting my first item from Batam - Vegetarian Belacan Chilli paste.
Upon returning to our room, I suggested to RD that he contribute his foreign currency for a photo. I find the design of money notes quite fascinating, especially when It also accompanied by value and colours; like a form of collection. (Now I know why I like a set of things, like the urge for completion)
So, on our way to the next spot, I saw something that made me feel mixed. There's this family on a motorcycle, and guess what? They've got not one, not two, but three little kiddos with them! While there's cause for concern, let's also build resilience in children. When faced with danger and resilience, I choose resilience and hope that danger can show some kindness. Bless them.

Great Batam Mall

Oooo another mega mall! Great Batam Mall!
I must say, this mall is quite new and impressively modern. I carefully considered my shopping list for Batam. I planned to get bubble tea, lapis for my mom and coworkers, and maybe a pair of jeans for myself. And so far, lapis has settled in the previous mall.
I'm curious if I can find the remaining items here. The shopping mall seems spacious and comfortable.
I find the layout of shopping malls quite interesting, especially the modern touch of having dropped light ceilings on every floor. It adds to the overall beauty.
Cleanliness and Maintenance Variety of Stores and Services Ambience and Atmosphere Customer Service (in general) Food and Beverage Options Overall Experience
Jeff 8 9 7.5 8 8 7
RD 9 9 8 8 8 8
Scoring board for Great Batam Mall. We quite like this mall, which also scored one of the highest. Factors such as familiarity, innovation, and comfort have played a significant role in its scoring.
As we proceeded to our next stop, we chose to walk rather than call out for a taxi. We had to cross the road, and a security staff member kindly stopped the traffic flow so we could pass. Unfortunately, some vehicles didn't comply and continued driving, ignoring his request. Quite a chaotic situation.
Walking to our next destination in Batam, we had to navigate through smaller lanes with no proper pavement, requiring us to walk alongside traffic. This is a common occurrence in countries like Malaysia.
When there is a hole in the road, they simply fill it up with debris. Who is in charge of road maintenance?
Wow! A truckload of fruits. I'd like to go check them out, maybe buy one or two, but I'm afraid they might overcharge me.
Oh! Check out the temperature for the day. Weird... I didn't expect it to be that high at all.

Batam City Square

Anyway, we arrived at Batam City Square shortly. I always believe we can walk from point to point, but I will trouble RD if I do so.
It is an old mall as it doesn't have a grand entrance.
Typical layout, not too cold here.
This mall has many floors.
Many shophouses, but their sequence seems random - shoes, toys, food, perfume, more food, miscellaneous items, more food, massage, shoes, and so on...
Wanted to dine at this vegetarian stall, but unfortunately, it has closed down. It's understandable considering the limited target customer base.
Cleanliness and Maintenance Variety of Stores and Services Ambience and Atmosphere Customer Service (in general) Food and Beverage Options Overall Experience
Jeff 6 6.5 6 7 6 6
RD 5.5 6.5 6 6 6 6
Scoring board for Batam City Square. It is an average and less impressive mall unless you know what you want to get there. Random store arrangements can confuse me from time to time.
We decided to take a taxi, returned to our hotel room, and took some time to rest.
I proceeded to pack my dinner from Kedai Vegetarian Aho again. I still like the taste of their chilli!

ESKA - Wellness Spa Massage and Salon

R.D. encouraged me to try my first massage in Batam. He said it's affordable and treated me to one. I was unsure but decided to give it a try. Thanks, R.D., for the offer!
We came to a room filled with curtain dividers.
A simple soft bed and we were told to strip down and wear a short, then lay down to wait for the assigned masseuse.
I was so nervous. I worried that I would embarrass myself in front of others.
I heard the masseuse approaching... OH NO!!!!!!!!!!
Masseuse set up a lamp to create a mood and began the massage session.
After massaging me for a bit, the masseuse suggested that I change location because he felt it would be more comfortable for me on a better bed.
When I moved to a higher and darker floor to finish the massage, I felt quite embarrassed. I accidentally made some noise (a soft moan, but it was just me trying to exhale and inhale air due to the pressure) while massaging. I guessed I made the masseuse embarrassed... Luckily, it was not a lady massaged me, if not, I will be embarrassed to the max.
I waited for RD to finish his session and I felt guilty...
I didn't give any cash to tip the masseuse (not in this image). I just wanted to send my apology. So sorry for your effort and embarrassment. Next time, I will tip any masseuse in the future. 🙏I will come back for a body massage again in Batam next time.
After our relaxing massage, we went back to our room and settled in for the night. Thank you, RD.
I woke up early morning... where was I going?
YES! I was heading for a good morning swim!
I won't waste any swimming opportunities, even though I don't have a god-like body, swimming is definitely something I enjoy.
Because swimming is a passion I've longed for since my youth, I resisted due to my insecurities and lack of a perfect physique. However, I have now come to appreciate and love swimming, and I will continue to do this.
Oops! The water felt rather "warm," but as soon as I got in, a chill ran through my body. I quickly swam to warm up. No time to feel cold.
I was lucky to be swimming alone, and I didn't think anyone at the hotel would be okay with some random weirdo taking photos by the pool.
I just wanted to soak in the water for a long while...
But then I remembered that RD had suggested grabbing some breakfast. I figured I couldn't hang out in the pool for too long and let RD hungry.
I was right. I was making the hotel guests uncomfortable at the pool... Once I left, they started using it; I guess with my untoned body, I should stay away from the pool.
Oh well, I don't own a great body, so it's best to exit the pool so that the guests can use it with ease.
Yeah, I'll just keep it to myself and stay away from everyone else.
Time to bathe! Oooo, Cold water 💦! But luckily, it can turn to warm and have a relaxing bath.
Ah, I didn't capture a photo of the elevator floor yesterday, as other people used it, but you should definitely admire the intricate water design!
Last night, I discussed with RD about going back to the Great Batam Mall to get the jeans I liked. I didn't get them when I was there because I miscalculated the amount of money I had. I realized that my mistake and indecision inconvenienced RD, as he had other plans to go to Mega Mall Shopping Centre near the ferry for the day. It seems like my stupidity only annoyed other people. I want to go on my own by walking there and don't wish to trouble anyone...
Eventually, RD decided to compromise and accompanied me to the mall by taxi. I just felt disgusted with myself. Sometimes, I think it's better if I go hiking alone so I won't trouble anyone.
Well, RD tried to assure me that he was okay with the arrangement...
At least, I got something for myself.
I love this pair of jeans. The fabric is really soft, and it also comes with a jacket, which I plan to get next time. (a stupid weirdo was trying to snap some photos of himself)
Took a friendly taxi ride with Jhay. If we need a driver in Batam again, I can find him.
I enjoy visiting unique places on this map of Batam. I always want to explore areas outside the city to experience a different side of Batam. If I just want to see beaches, I might as well save up to visit the beaches in Malaysia.
I also wanted to grab some bubble tea before leaving Batam, and I managed to get some.
Just check my stash for my Batam trip!
And a last-minute stash purchase! I was thrilled to discover that the best mosquito repellent is available here!
To my surprise, there is a 1k dollar note!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed out...
Stormy weather when we were on our way home but it was a safe trip after all.
Reflecting on my overall experience in Batam, it aligns with what many have said: it's a destination for shopping, massages, and dining. Although I had hoped to discover a different aspect of Batam, I decided to adjust my expectations and enjoy the activities that others appreciate. I was delighted to swim, try a massage for the first time, complete my shopping, and most importantly, avoid upsetting RD too much, unlike during my previous Bintan trip, when I pissed someone... was quite upsetting :(

Next was what RD had shared, "I find travelling with you is hassle free and you are accomodmating towards what I need to do like performing my prayers. Though u did have certain expectations like pool and the fact that you wanted to see more, you understood that it was a short trip and expectations had to be managed. I’m glad that you enjoyed the trip well and I hope you enjoyed my company as well as much as I enjoyed our first travel together." Thanks RD for his kind words.

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog