Saturday, May 25, 2024

Trip - Fort Canning Battlebox SG

Hi Blog,

As a novice in urban exploration, I plan to visit a location that would be a dream for urbex enthusiasts if not for the organized group facilitating the place.

So where am I talking about? It is at Fort Canning Battlebox.
Within Fort Canning Hill is a WWII bunker built on the hill to operate as commanding HQ during the wars. For historical reasons, it is maintained by the government rather than leaving it to rot and be forgotten.


On 1st Feb 2024 when Jon came to Singapore, passed by Battle Box. We had planned to visit the Battle Box with Jon, but unfortunately, it's currently undergoing renovations and updates. It should be operational again in the next few days. But Jon won't be here already so...
Otter won't mind joining my exploration.
This will be my third visit. I remember going there once during my school years, and then again with my classmates because it was free! However, I don't have a distinct impression of this place beyond my memory.
It seemed like it was free, and the fee was fully voluntary to support the maintenance of the bunker.
We can download this app for the Battlebox tour.
Remember to plug in an earpiece for better hearing.
This place looks like you’re in the colonial era.
After paying a small fee to support the maintenance and the staff, we were told to approach the staff over there.
Beautiful stair
The passionate staff was too focused on explaining the history of this place to a visitor.
And without getting any attention, we were not sure whether we should wait for the staff to bring us in or if we could walk in ourselves...
It seemed like we could enter on our own rather than thinking it was guided. Maybe in the past, it was guided, but now with the audio app, it saves the trouble of explaining and repeating to many visitors daily. Or you can read about it here too.
(Credit Otter) Time to see what they have here.
Oooo! There is a name for this underground bunker - Fort Canning World War II Underground Command Centre.
They still maintain the exterior setting with newer lighting. That works well.
The small brief of this bunker
The layout of the bunker. In my blog post, I won't go too detail, I will just mark the room number so you can download the app and listen to it yourself. (I think it is more for myself) 
The tunnel is interesting, and it has newer ventilation.
Iron door which can lock from inside
We entered Room 1 - Orderlies
(Credit Otter) where the soldiers can take a break
(Credit Otter) After a good break, time to work!
Next room, shall we?
Room 2 - Telephone Exchange
There is a soldier busy working 24/7 to receive messages from the unknown.
(Credit Otter) Hello! yes... okay... okay... I guess... I have some news for you (operator).
please continue your great work here to protect Singapore.
Room 3 - Cipher Office
This place will send the messages to be coded and decoded before being sent to the next room
(Credit Otter) This must be stressful work...
(Credit Otter) I tried... but...
I failed... This job was too tough.
Head off to the cypher officers.
Room 4 - Signal Office
Here was where they sent out messages using Morse code.
Rust door was so special
(Credit Otter) The metal door was one of the important features of a dungeon.
Room 5 - Signal Control
Inside this room, you will see glass panels pasted on the wall.
It seemed like the Japanese Soldiers came here before
They left their names here.
(Credit Otter) These papers are ordinary. 
A walkway to room 6
But the room between Room 5 and 6... seemed like something special.
oooo! Toilet. (Warning, it is not functional anymore)
I am not surprised that some visitors may think it is functional.
It seemed like this peeing area was a product from the past and thinking of it... I barely see this anymore.
(Credit Otter) There was another toilet
Weirdo that I am, took a picture of a toilet.
Product made in London!
not China! Hahaha
London product...
(Credit Otter) ...felt special and classic after use.
Let's visit other rooms.
Honestly… if no one maintains this place, I believe it won’t be safe to explore alone.
Room  6 - Fortress Command
The BattleBox served as the central hub for all communications with troops in the field.
Within its communication rooms, commanders in the BattleBox could monitor battlefield activity and issue orders to the units deployed in the field.
(Credit Otter) Then... why you can sit here safely?
Room 7 - Gun Operations Room (Fortress plotting)
In this room, you can see how the plotters kept track of deployment and assistance on the battlefield.
They seemed busy
Looked like they were playing a big game.
(Credit Otter) Hmm... May I know if the number meant their health point???
I can sense the big cold anime sweat dropping from his head.
We should not disturb the gentlemen.
Beautiful clock, where can I get this?
Along a lengthy passage, there stands a soldier who looks creepy.
Hi Soldier
(Credit Otter) Thanks for guarding this place
Hmmm... these are the rooms without numbers.
A washing basin has been installed here without knowing the reason.
From the look into the rooms, it was empty.
It seemed like he was guarding here to tell us there was nothing to see here.
Imagine if you are alone here... creepy
It seemed like we missed out on Room 8, and entered Room 9 - Command Anti-Aircraft Defence
 This place was the Surrender Conference Room where the decision was made to surrender Singapore to the Japanese.
(Credit Otter) It seemed tough for them to make such a decision to reduce the amount of damage.
There is an air vent beside Room 9
It leads to a dead end.
A drainage
(Credit Otter) It seemed like an escape route.
(Credit Otter) I guess it is best not to climb up.
(Credit Otter) Best to remain obedient.
Let's lookup
Hmmm... Later let's go up and see where it leads to.
(Credit Otter) Let's have an emo moment.
(Credit Otter) It seemed like I could fit in the whole metal door.
Room 10 - Forward Defence Headquarters
(Credit Otter) Room 11 - Assistant Adjuntant and Quartermaster General.
I wonder what is the function of this room... I forgot to plug into the audio
Room 12 - Command Fixed Defence
We exited from the Battelbox. Thank goodness it was air-conditioned.
Ah, this is the escape exit route.
My visit to the Battlebox and the photographs I took helped me remember this place more vividly. Despite having no recollection of my previous two visits when I was younger, I now have a deep impression of it. I recommend anyone interested in understanding Singapore’s history to visit the Battlebox. Additionally, consider making a small token to support the maintenance of this historical bunker.

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog