Saturday, August 20, 2022

Trip - Dover Forest

Hi Blog,

Have you heard about Dover forest? If you have not, Dover forest is around the size of 46 soccer fields (consisting of western and eastern halves separated by a mowed grass lawn) and there are several endangered species living there. It is left untouched for over 40 years until the Government decided to clear the 33-hectare Dover forest for housing projects... You can Google for more information and news.

I had not been there before or even aware of this and happened to hear Mr L wanted to visit the site hence I tagged on his exploration.
Thanks Heaven, it was great weather and excited to visit the site before it was gone. And what attracts me the most, is the Banyan Tree
Time to go and put on my top to become Captain Nerd. (funny thing was during the trip, Mr L and his friends kept on addressing me as Captain Nerd 😂 or Captain. I guess it has become one of my identities)
Who knows it can cater to other people who are not pleased with me (I won't put "ugly or fat here") in trisuit and even when I put on a top, still got people telling me to wear pants or shorts... Yes I know I am no demi-god so I am just an eye sore... Eventually I will wear it.
Anyway here were my folks to hike together. Smile before we sweat.
After a short walk from the station around the thick forest, before we stepped in... You can see the divide between urban and nature; and nature is losing...
Entrance to the Eastern Forest
(Credit Mr L) A group shot at the entrance and a lot of ants started to climb on our feet
Hmm... I have never seen this pink flower before.
Just a few mins in the forest, I already can feel the bites from the thirsty insects... Oh my...
The path was rather defined so far
Can't take many pictures because needed to catch up with them.
Found one wasp just waiting on a leaf, watching us passing by.
I was self-assigned to be a sweeper and ensured everyone's safety
Hmm... I was trying my best to remember the path
Nice and warm sun rays peeked into the gaps of the forest
(Credit Mr L) Haha Great to have someone helped to snap
Continued to admire the rays
And it hit and warm up the tree
Now I know why there were so many mosquitoes here
Helping one another to cross the small stream
Honestly... I don't know where are we heading
I can only rely on certain landmarks like a unique tree like this banyan or fig tree
Not fallen down branches.
I started to love these kinds of trees because they are quite unique. Feeling they are just like a people, we recognise them not just from their exterior but their character too
It seemed like the trashes were left here for many years unattended
After a while of wandering around, Mr L summoned everyone to gather to check out this fallen tree, and based on its rotten condition, it must be fallen for 10-15 years
(Credit Mr L) Let's have a picture here before it was gone.
The drain started to collapse because the sand eroded away
On the surface, it seemed okay but who knows what is going on beneath it.
(Credit Mr L) Mr L was trying to find a way to the next destination but we just stopped by for pictures :)
Found an abandoned tent which was occupied by mosquitoes and ants!!!!
There is one plant (unknown) that will drop its leave and when it fell while facing its white side, created an autumn feel.
Here was filled with vines and formed a roof-like passage
In the beginning, It seemed like Mr L's warning was fulfilled that he will be lost in the exploration. I guess that you look at the picture, you will know it is not easy
After a few stops at a Y-junction, we finally managed to find the one of beautiful Banyan Tree in Dover forest!
Previously,  I mentioned treating and remembering the tree like a person, besides of its unforgettable exterior... This one definitely stands out among the rest.
And its character looks like this tree simply loves to be bonded. Some trees will have ferns or other plants to dress themselves but this one is another kind.
It just reminded me that this tree wants to break free and there are so many restraints around it; but yet! It carried it and stood strong without a sign of defeat. Since we can't remove it, we will need to outgrow it.
Our guide for the day - Mr L
(Credit Mr L) I thought I can't climb up but I realised... Since my physique is still young, I should. Mr L was a commando before but his physique now is taking a toll on climbing up the tree. Even climbing up the stairs already started to take a toll on me especially wearing a mask, kind of breathless.
Thanks to this tree for hosting us. Really wish that when they developed this site, they can keep you.
Next stop, there was this hill-like structure... Hmm 🤔 what was it? Just check out how wide it was.
Ah! It was an uprooted fallen tree. Just see how shallow their roots were. That reminds me that it is not about how much we know, it is about how deep we know.
(Credit Mr L) Oops! He captured the moment of me doing my own photography. Loner's life...
(Credit Mr L) Group shot before we left this place
On our way back, we bumped to another group of hikers but they were busy drawing and painting. This dude here is one of the residents near Dover forest and his name is Chua C T. He will bring people to Dover forest every weekend and shares with the visitors about the importance of preserving the forest and how to appreciate the forest.
We forgot to snap a group photo together here and had Chua C T to assist.
From his sharing, many Singaporeans petition to preserve this forest but the government just trying to delay and will carry out removal of the forest for development...
So all we can do as a small fly on the island... Is to remember this forest and appreciate the remaining forest on this little red dot.
Check out the result of the kiss bites on one of my legs. Nice score!
Chua C T told us to go up to one of the blocks near the forest and...
Enjoy the amazing view of the small forest... A place where homed for many animals.
The next day after researching... I decided to go and find another Banyan Tree but...
It started to rain before I got there... Dampened my mood...
Overall, it was a nice trip to visit a forest which was numbered. I will visit that forest again sooner and hopefully, I can find the unique Banyan Tree. You can also check this out to read up more about some unique trees in Dover Forest.

On the 27th Aug 2022, I went back to Dover Forest. You can read up on part 2 of my trip here.

Updated on 8th Feb 2023, Here is the new project for Dover Forest... I guess... when comes to money and powerful people (they are the minority in this world but yet) they have ALL the control over how the world is... Voices from the commoners and animals have zero impact on them... just like a giant is about to step on an ant... they won't hear anything.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog