Monday, July 3, 2017

Cycling - New Upgraded Fatbike

Hi Blog,

Updated on 20 June 2017
After more than six months since my last visit (link to the post), I finally decided to upgrade my fatbike and cycled down to Varenta Cycle to trouble Kylene, whom I trust.

Last look at my old fattie
He told me to upgrade my rim to Nextie Wild dragon 90mm 26"(link) than the Wild Dragon Tri-Spoke (link) which I love because of less maintenance and tougher too. So after careful thinking between aesthetic vs functionality, I decided to go for Nextie Wild Dragon.

And I went for another upgrade on my pedals to Gamut Podium pedals (link), one of the best pedal - nice width and light weight

Kylene also helped to install a Dt Swiss Spokes and nipples, I picked silver. He included wheelbuilding labour, brake bleeding, rear brake replacement, change my front brake decomtamination, saddle alignment and bike wash services.

so I removed some loose parts home.
You may think I am crazy, I just traveled back by train and bus in my cycling attire; heck care people judgmental.

Yes I did it!
I decided to keep my post open and will continue to update once I got my new upgrade Fatbike below. Stay tune.

============================================

Updated on 22 June 2017
Today I decided to drop by Kylene's bike store to collect back the old rim so that I can help to save some space for him and don't need to come back again, and also get some update of my fatbike statue. Kylene has not started my bike yet as he has other bikes to do and he was also kind enough to suggest helping me selling away my old rim on his carousell. How nice of him.

For me, I will also put it on carousell but for sure, I can't sell it away and know nothing about my rim model; Kylene can help out will be a great thing. okay! I shall wait for his calling to collect my new fatbike. Update again.

============================================

Updated on 28 June 2017
- Kylene updated: wheels is done; just realized I also need a pair of new tubes for the carbon rim as the air valve is too short. but if I need a tubeless tire which required a UST setup; I may be required to change the tires too; as the current tire isn't 100% tubeless compatible.... So meaning mine isn't tubeless.... :(

There is his following advice: As I have upgraded the rims alone, He recommend I stick to my current tubes for now as I haven't upgraded the hubs yet and tires haven't fully worn up too.

Once I am happy with carbon rims, I may consider this time round: a change of hubs, better quality lightweight spokes and the same time, both new pair of tires and tubeless setup. This way I can see the difference from the gradual upgrade.

Maybe my next upgrade will be Est. cost as follows:

Tire: 160-260$/pair depending on model
Tubeless setup (Rim tape + Sealant + Tubeless air valve + Labour): 80$/pair
Industry Nine Fat Hubs: 840$
Hope Pro 4 Fat Hubs: 400$

============================================

Updated on 03 July 2017
- Kylene met an issue with my Waifu. He was waiting for an air valve extender for my tires, but for the moment, he managed to get one of my tires done.


What a beauty :)

============================================

Updated on 10 July 2017
- Work completed! Click here to see the result!

============================================

Overall Upgrade till dated
- Nextie Wild dragon 90mm 26" Rim
- Dt Swiss Spokes and nipples
- Gamut Podium pedals

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take note that this blogspot doesn't have comment-notification alert, so if you have a question, please leave me your email so I can reply back.

if not, don't be shy to drop me your comment/feedback on my posts or follow my blog